release hub question

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
to my knowledge, none of the kits come with that..

AFAIK, you should rarely if ever have to change the hub out. the clips however would be a good idea to replace each time you do a clutch job because they tend to get bent and lose their tension (happened on mine, but no telling how many times they have been replaced)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The release hub should not need to be replaced, unless it's damaged. If this is the case, then by all means, however it should be nearly impossible to damage it under anything which can be described as normal operation.

Similarly the snap rings should not "lose tension" because they're not UNDER tension if properly installed. If they're bent, they will not hold correctly. They are in most danger of getting bent while you are installing them. This is closely followed by the time that you remove them. Take a little care, and they should last a very long time. That said, I know of people who will put a tack weld in place to make damned sure that they don't let go while driving. This seems extreme to me, but it will definitely do the trick.

The only part which I could see having a potential age problem is the wave washer, as it actually is under tension when normally installed. I don't think that it's MUCH tension though, as it's really just expansion space for the pressure plate fingers as the clutch is pulled.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
In that case, mine were probably improperly installed before I ended up replacing the clutch. the snap rings were a bit bent, and the wave washer allowed too much play.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
#1 reason the hub fails is improper installation. Very few of these cars will be on their original clutches, so it's safe to assume it's installed incorrectly.

Correct installation: (my terrible MS Paint drawing, but it's more clear than the TSRM unless you have a paper version)

p1892528_1.jpg