Regrets of a formerly naive engine builder

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Back in 2009, I was a noob to Supras when I bought mine. It had a hole in the block, a perfect body, and was $1600. I jumped on it, and $1500 and 5 onths later, it was running. Runs great still, although I've maybe put 1000 miles on it since the rebuild. But I know more about it today then I did back then. The blown motor had been rebuilt 25-30K miles ago, so when it came to the head I chose to reuse it without any machining done as it showed no signs of BHG and had not been overheated. Looking back, I wish I would have machined it and used a MHG. my question is, given that the head had been machined 30k miles ago, wasn't overheated or BHG, I used ARP studs and OEM headgasket, do you think the car will be ok? Or is it a ticking time bomb and I should just pull the head and replace the headgasket and have the head machined? I look back and now am fully aware how stupid it was to not have it machined, but what can I say, back then I was young, naive, and still pretty new to cars. I didn't even turn a wrench until I was a senior in high school, and I bought the Supra as a sophomore in college.
-AM3

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
If you're at stock or near stock boost it's probably okay but honestly it's impossible to tell considering none of us know the true condition of your head. It could last years or blow tomorrow really.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
OfnaRcR4;1845386 said:
If you're at stock or near stock boost it's probably okay but honestly it's impossible to tell considering none of us know the true condition of your head. It could last years or blow tomorrow really.
well not tomorrow...Only since I won't be driving it until next friday at the earliest :biglaugh:
But that is kinda what I figured. I have a spare head and a friend that can machine it, and given that it hasn't blown yet, I think I'll get my spare ready, swap it and the HG, and call it good.
-AM3

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
Another MkIII;1845391 said:
well not tomorrow...Only since I won't be driving it until next friday at the earliest :biglaugh:
But that is kinda what I figured. I have a spare head and a friend that can machine it, and given that it hasn't blown yet, I think I'll get my spare ready, swap it and the HG, and call it good.
-AM3

this is by far the safest option. but aslong as you preped the mating surfaces with the original, if its lasted 25-30k, then you are probably ok as long as you dont abuse it much.

also the block will probably need machining for a MHG aswell, as the block to needs to be glass flat aswell.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
bioskyline;1845404 said:
this is by far the safest option. but aslong as you preped the mating surfaces with the original, if its lasted 25-30k, then you are probably ok as long as you dont abuse it much.

also the block will probably need machining for a MHG aswell, as the block to needs to be glass flat aswell.
Not going with an MHG because of that. Just an OEM, but going to machine the head. I wish I had done a MHG when I did my rebuild because I had my block machined then, so I only needed to get the head done and I could have gone with an MHG. Stupid decisions.
-AM3