Recommended Tires

Hi, there is a shop in the Milwaukee area that is having a sale on Black Friday, a buy 1 get 1 free for tires. I wanted to take advantage of this and been doing some research. So far I think about getting the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2. I was wondering if you guys know some good tires as well. My tire size is 245/40ZR/17. I am looking for summer tires only. I don't drive my car during the winter so I don't need winter or all season tires. I just want a high performance summer tires with alot of grip. Thanks.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Atlas;1891534 said:

I was going to say the Hankook RS3's too. I have been using RS2's for a couple of years, autocross mostly, and for the price you can't beat them. RS2's were discontinued but The RS3's are more gripy so I'm sure they are awesome.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
RS3's have amazing grip for turning, straight line from low MPH I can turn them over on public roads not very easily but it doesn't take much. Once they lose grip they're pretty forgiving and FIGHT to get it back, not just turn to butter and slide everywhere.

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
There is no comparison between the RS3's and V12's. The RS3's are pretty much an R-compound for the street, whereas the V12's have a mushy sidewall in comparison and aren't as, or course, aggressive. If you are looking to be competitive in any type of sanctioned motorsports, then the RS3's hands down. However, if you're after some street appropriate grip and longevity, then the V12's will suite you just fine. Also, I'm pretty sure Tirerack.com has the monopoly on RS3's, not sure if you can get them from a local shop without that shop first purchasing it from Tirerack, and then I'm not sure if any special offers will apply. Just something to think about. Good luck with your purchase!

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
If he thinks the V12's wear out too fast, then he'll hate the RS3's with their 140 treadwear rating. Suspension settings will also play a part in tire wear, but the RS3's WILL wear faster than the V12's. Rule of thumb is, high grip=short life.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
HMNGSupraMKIII;1891688 said:
I talked to one of my friends and he said the V12's has terrible treadwear. I was just wondering if its true

Tread wear isn't really a matter of opinion. V12's are 280 and RS3's are 140. so the V12's will last twice as long, but only because they are made of a harder compound. The softer RS3's will have more grip. So it's a trade off that is up to you. Read this to see how the tread wear rating is calculated http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Another way to look at it is this: A harder compound will be easier to spin. Spinning tires generally wear out quickly. So if you don't (because you can't) spin them, they should last just fine. ;)

Anyway, I've had a few sets of sticky tires over the years. Loved the Goodyear GS-D3, but they're kinda pricey, and I don't think they offer as wide a selection of sizes anymore. Nitto 555's are alright, but the NT05 is better in every way conceivable. I've heard good things about Star Specs as well. Will probably go with either the Toyo R888 or Nitto NT01 next.

Anyway, as another poster pointed out, check online (discounttiredirect.com is another good vendor) for price comparison. Even with their "buy one get one" sale, you might save money buying online. I know only a fool buys tires in my town... but with four to six tire shops here, apparently there are a lot of fools here. :p

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
it really depends on what you do with your car. the past year on my supra ive run 255/40/17 RS3's all around. i LOVE them!!! :biglaugh: last autocross i placed third out of some pretty quick cars. was only tenths from second which was a bpu 08 sti with variant 3's on rcompounds. then a second away from first which was my buddy in his fd with ohilins on massive fedral RS-R's......hes a really good driver too. point is they're very competitive. its tough to beat the fact that take heat really well yet are pretty sticky off the bat, can run against rcompond cars, great in the rain, are cheap, and most important look cool lol! also its soooooooooooo nice having awesome grip all the time compared to running rcompunds then going to some all-season thats spin city......idk what more you could ask for other than if you have cold winters or don't have a daily they might not be that practical. and if you don't compete with your car though then theres no real reason to run a 140tw tire. unless you just want to try them for fun to see what a different a tire can make to a cars performance. mine are holding up pretty good but i drive my truck way more. my 2 cents on rs3's

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
^These are the Hankook RS3's you speak of? Hmm... may have to look into them, that's some awfully high praise there. :)

As for not competing making sticky rubber not as useful, there are people like me, who only have about 6 months a year where it is warm enough outside to use such rubber on the car. Couple that with a lack of tracks, generally boring roads, low in town speed limits, 2x the traffic that the town was built for, and you end up with tires that will dry rot before you ever get the full use from them. Hence, I run as sticky as I can afford for my summer tires, and switch to a better tire for the colder winter months...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
te72;1892934 said:
^These are the Hankook RS3's you speak of? Hmm... may have to look into them, that's some awfully high praise there. :)

As for not competing making sticky rubber not as useful, there are people like me, who only have about 6 months a year where it is warm enough outside to use such rubber on the car. Couple that with a lack of tracks, generally boring roads, low in town speed limits, 2x the traffic that the town was built for, and you end up with tires that will dry rot before you ever get the full use from them. Hence, I run as sticky as I can afford for my summer tires, and switch to a better tire for the colder winter months...

same here