Recommended Crimping Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
Hi guys,

Long story short I want to purchase a delphi weather pack crimping tool. I want to use some quality connectors on my 7MGE's engine harness to body harness connections and I thought the weather-pack connectors would be a good choice.

I thought investing in a tool that can properly make these types of connections would come in handy elsewhere in the car.

I've got a nice catalog from waytek but their dedicated crimper for the job is $90. That seems a bit steep for a crimper that doesn't have removable dies. I was hoping one of you electrical guru's (figgie?) could point me in the right direction.

MIL-spec connectors seem overkill for my needs. Really, I probably will only be making a few of these connections...but want them to be sound. I thought the weather pack connectors would be a good balance between quality, versatility and price. I don't need a professional quality tool but if I'm forced to spend a significant amount of money, I want to make sure I'm getting good value. Perhaps there is a crimper with removable dies in this price range?

hopefully you somebody can suggest a connector style and crimping tool that would give the most value.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
$90 eh? You're breaking my heart. Try buying certified crimp tools for aviation use ;)

I'll recommend the AMP ProCrimper II. About $80 with one set of dies. Additional die sets can be spendy though. Depends on what they're for. I recall some of my coax ones cost more than the tool itself...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I picked up a ratcheting crimper with f-crimp jaws from a place called del city to do my metripack connectors as well as my oem sumitomos. Makes a decent crimp when not crimping the rubber seal, but i have yet to try crimping over the rubber seal. I have heard from several sources that it is not essential to crimp the seal to the wire, but I'd still rather do it.

here is the website
http://www.delcity.net/store/OEM-Ratchet-Crimping-Tool/p_714008.a_1

also, if you want to go OEM style on the connectors, check out the thread I started in this section...I found a reasonably priced source for the OEM sumitomo terminals.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
Thanks for the tips guys, some excellent choices there!

adampecush;1240372 said:
I have heard from several sources that it is not essential to crimp the seal to the wire, but I'd still rather do it.

I have read the same thing too. I can agree with using the strain relief clip only on the wire insulation too. This way, you've got a guaranteed positive connection on the insulation...where it really matters. The seals should keep themselves in place I would think.

adampecush;1240372 said:
also, if you want to go OEM style on the connectors, check out the thread I started in this section...I found a reasonably priced source for the OEM sumitomo terminals.

I did see that thread. I am 90% sure I'm going to go this route. Those OEM connectors look very nice...and don't have a minimum order quantity which is really nice. I should have clean, strong, OEM looking harness before long!

Steve

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
dogdrake;1240897 said:
the best connection is solder and heatshrink . there is also some kind of connecter that has a solder ring inside a shrink housing . you slide the striped wires in each side crossed trough the solder ring and heat it with a heatgun , it does it in one step solders and shrinks.

That is just so very wrong DD.....

Buying the correct crimper makes the job almost foolproof and once you have a quality tool it's there for life unless you're using it as a hammer at times. ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I've cleaned the thread up. As mentioned solder is inferior to a properly done crimp which is, when done using the correct tooling and terminals, gas tight and not subject to corrosion. The aerospace sector long ago established this and there are many technical resources out there that so state. Sure it works but to say soldering is the "best" method flies in the face of research. Furthermore, the statement is counterproductive to the purpose and intent of this particular section of the forum.

Done. If you want to argue this do it in the General Section...

Status
Not open for further replies.