rebuilt engine timing issue.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
Ok ive done searching and some research and was able to fix most issues I was having. I just rebuilt my engine and had my head looked over by a machine shope and the reassembled it with the stage two brain crowler cams for me. I got the car to idle for a few and while it was idling I tried adjusting the cps for my timing. I have it pulled all the way up to where I cant pull it up anymore and th timing wont get past 15 degrees. I know it suppose to be at 10 BTDC. The car rund great other wise through the gears. Now it doesn't even seem to idle though but still drives fine in gears. I just did some reading on cam tuning and there saying I should advance the exhust and retard the intake. Will this fix that issue. That to me seems more like a overlap issue but Im not 100% clear on this. Please any can help that would be great. This was my first engine rebuild so im open to any suggestions?

I have tried pulling the cps and moving it another tooth but then it wont start. with out my fot on the gas

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Need to degree the cams and have adjustable cam gears.

Also the cps might not be in the right spot.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
I lined up the marks on the cps and slid it straight in and it started right up. Is there anther recommendations for the CPS? I also removed the charcoal canister and got the proper block off plates I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Anyone have advice on how many teeth to go with the cams gears. I don't have any check engine light or anything?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You need adjustable cam gears. Can't just move them on the timing belt. And the cps gear turns when you slide it in so it is prolly off one tooth.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
thread hijack...... i set my timing to 15 degrees advanced. i did NOT jump the e1 to t1 terminals. should i re-time the car?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
And plenty of guys that run standalone run around 25* under vacuum. Of course they have the ability to knock it down when under boost, and we don't. 15* isn't bad cruising around. Not sure how well it works under boost though.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
thanks guys,..... i set it to 10* with the diag jumpered. when you pull the jumper it goes to 12*. i'll be leaving it at the stock settings, i don't want to build another motor. lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Adjust it at idle will change it throughout the entire rpm range.

On a standalone you can set the timing to what ever you want. Big difference.