Rebuilding r154 questions

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
Started tearing into it today and found a few things that raise alarm to me..
p1892983_1.jpg

p1892983_2.jpg

p1892983_3.jpg

Between both front and back cases there was no gasket, just rtv silicon. Toyota factory...idk but I'm guessing not! Also front bearing retainer was the same way. Also front input shaft has quite a bit of movement from rest of main shaft like right behind front main bearing forward. Normal? I know pilot bearing supports the shaft but it just seemed a bit excessive like 1/8" total. Everything else looks good as I was just going to upgrade a few parts but I just need a " oh no worrie, looks good,carry on" from someone would ease my mind.
p1892983_4.jpg

This is the front bearing. Does it look like a stock bearing or aftermarket or could that be known?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Yeah there is no gasket between the case halve or anywhere on the case. RTV is used to seal everything together. Unsure on the rest. If you don't have the TSRM I would suggest getting it before diving in much further.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
MightyAl;1892985 said:
Yeah there is no gasket between the case halve or anywhere on the case. RTV is used to seal everything together. Unsure on the rest. If you don't have the TSRM I would suggest getting it before diving in much further.

Yeah I have one but I'm still gun shy.. Ok we'll just making sure on the atv I knew the manual wasn't showing anything, guess I should have skipped to the assembly part :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya all of which your explaining is generally normal.

Toyota fipg. They use the orange on the manual trans and diffs. Tho the black will work too. Dm or toyota stocks the orange.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
hvyman;1893002 said:
Ya all of which your explaining is generally normal.

Toyota fipg. They use the orange on the manual trans and diffs. Tho the black will work too. Dm or toyota stocks the orange.

Good deal, just wondered if someone had been into it before monkeying around :) thanks

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
How does the 1-2 shift fork look? How about the thrust bearing?

Are you putting in any marlin crawler parts?

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
I would strongly recommend all marlin crawler parts from DM. Great quality and helps beef up the trans a bit. DM also has a rebuilt kit with all the new bearings and seals you will need.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
Yeah that's the plan guys :) I forgot about dm cause marlin shift fork was out of stock yesterday. I'm not totally sold on the shift though. My tranny has 110,000 on it if it is all stock and looking at them I see no possible failure unless your trying to jamb gears or not using your clutch to shift. I don't do this for a living but that just my first impression after looking at the inside. Have got to the thrust washer yet from looking at the tsrm it looks like its gonna take me awhile to get to it.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
Got a little further today. Looks like the counter shaft in the back has got hot as well the two piece moon shape roller bearing went, the shaft had a blue/ burnt look. Anyone else seen this upon disassembly?
p1893122_1.jpg

p1893122_2.jpg

p1893122_3.jpg

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
Riceman83;1893084 said:
Yeah that's the plan guys :) I forgot about dm cause marlin shift fork was out of stock yesterday. I'm not totally sold on the shift though. My tranny has 110,000 on it if it is all stock and looking at them I see no possible failure unless your trying to jamb gears or not using your clutch to shift. I don't do this for a living but that just my first impression after looking at the inside. Have got to the thrust washer yet from looking at the tsrm it looks like its gonna take me awhile to get to it.

replace the 1st thrust washer with the marlin crawler one.
I didn't and it came back right in my face at the drag stripe.
There was not much I could salvage from that R154 after that