Rebuild it is....

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
So I finally finished checking the spare block I picked up a couple months ago, I checked the rod thrust clearances, rod, and main bearings. All was in PRIMO condition, except for the #5 Main Cap bearing. Started with Rod Thrust Clearances, then checked the bearings last night. For a 70k block, those things looked practically new...same with the rod bearings when I checked those today -- #3 Cap bearing had a chip out of the surface, but was tiny and didn't look bad....skipped the 4 Cap because of the thrust washers (checked it later, looked brand new pretty much), and got to the #5 cap....fucker was scored to hell, about 1/4" wide all along the center. 6 and 7 were good, and the journals on the crank looked good, even on the #5 main. So I stripped the block down today....guess I'll be going MHG after all... :biglaugh:

Here's my question -- I don't plan on re-ringing the pistons, honing the cylinders, or anything like that...just machine the head gasket surface (and i know I need the timing cover needs to be bolted on when that's done...same with the head), new main and rod bearings, and cleaned up. I'd like this motor to be somewhere in the 400hp range when it's all back together and tuned. Will the stock bottom end components handle that reliably as-is, or do I need to think about cryo-treating and polishing the rods, cryoing/coating the pistons, ARP Hardware, etc.?

I'm not even sure the motor'll see those numbers with what's on it, but who knows... Supposedly it's got a ported head, along with what's visible -- Turbonetics TO4E 60-1, 3" exhaust from the turbo housing back, and what I have waiting to go on....Lex AFM/550s, Aftermarket FMIC and Hardpipe kit, AFPR...those are the parts that'll affect the power output. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
**Update**

So I think I know what happened to the #5 Main Bearing. After talking to my parts guy, his ninja computer skills showed only bearings marked 1 and 2 were available for the #5 main, and mine had a bearing marked 3. The bearing's scoring is dead-center along the bearing, about 1/4" wide...about the size of the oiling hole in the crank journal. My #6 main had a bearing marked 2, and the plastigage showed it was at the upper limits of the clearance specs, but the bearing looks brand-new. So, what i think happened was someone got the two mixed up when that block was built. Anyway, bearings are ordered, and now I just need to find a good machine shop in the Denver area that's not going to break the bank. Also, need to find someone that'll check out my turbo, want to make sure the bearings aren't fried in that thing from losing the oil. So Denver guys, any of you able to point me in the right direction for these services? I'd be greatly appreciative...hell, I'd even consider letting you come over and fuck my sister... :naughty: Well...ok, maybe not THAT appreciative.... :biglaugh:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
give em a call at (970)690-8443 see if he can help ya, he is actually in loveland (or was it longmont...)

didnt realize how close you were to me, im in thornton but i usually go up to dacono every weekend

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
he used to be a machinist but he does performance head work and has his stuff shipped to the shop he used to work for. shops also send him heads to assemble after they machine em

toss me an email arba69@hotmail.com or pm i can help ya take the motor out