Rear Subframe Removal Advice

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
My rear Subframe has never been dropped . . . but it needs to come out as there is a small hole that needs welding above it.

I found a good Video where a guy leaves everything attached - just unbolts the Propshaft, bottom of the rear Shocks, rear Brake Calipers and then removes it with everything attached. (I guess this is the simplest way to do it).

Just one question . . . fortunately 4 of the big retainers are NUTS, so should come undone if they are heated a little.

But 2 of them are long Bolts, going up into captive nuts in the floorpan. So hope these will undo without ripping the nuts out the floorpan.

Does anyone know if these nuts are accessible? I'm guessing they must be under the rear passenger floor, and not under the rear seat?

(been a long time since I have been on here - the UK Mk3 Supra Forum is virtually dead these days. But here are photos of my car, if anyone is interested: https://rogerkennedy.co.uk/supra/ )

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Are you talking about the two bolts on the front bushing retainer plate or the bolts on the inner front bushings? Can't recall if they are accessible, but my car was extremely rusted when disassembling and I had no issue removing any of the subframe bolts. They are pretty stout and can take a lot of removal torque.

57Bonus

Dec 14, 2022
Looks like two bolts holding the front bushing retainer plate and one long bushing bolt.
I have an 87 and didn't have any issues removing the nuts and bolts although, I did a daily soak of PB blaster on the nuts for a week before I removed my rear subframe.
Looking at the floor pan and back panel drawing on Cygnus, it's hard to say if the nuts for these bolts are shown/accessible.
Good luck.

IMG_2789.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: trofimovich

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
Under the rear seat are some large black bungs. These cover the access to the front subframe mounts both the caged nut and the stud.. never had a issue removing them. One thing to be aware of. It's a big heavy lump to remove in one piece