Rear shocks bouncing, bottoming out, weird noises

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
I think my rear shocks are done (feel free to correct me on my verbiage if I'm using the wrong terms). I can feel the back end bottoming out over train-tracks and potholes, and cornering is very sketchy, especially on bad roads and wash-board. And in general it feels like I'm riding a pogo stick; it starts to bounce, a lot, over little bumps and upsets.

In the last 10 days I have been able to hear a short, sharp "shhhh" coming from what sounds like the rear right wheel. Specifically, it sounds like someone is spraying an aerosol can. At first I thought the car was bottoming and my sidewall was rubbing on something, but I can't find anything in the wheel well that would cause the noise.

My car has aftermarket coil-overs, Bridgestone Potenza Street dampers (which consist of Tokico IC series dampers and Bridgestone Potenza springs). The wheels are 17" ROH Boost-R with 205/50/R17 Sumo Firenza tires. (And yes, I know those are narrower than stock, which won't help the traction issue)
p1337811_1.jpg

I pulled my rear wheels off to check the shocks (?) for signs of leaking, etc, and all I could find was 35lbs of greasy CRAP all over them. (Cleaned off for second pic)
p1337811_2.jpg

I also noticed that this foamy pink bushing/stopper/whizbang was in terrible shape, and shredded to hell. I know this isn't a good thing, but can anyone explain to me why? (I do know from looking at the other side that it's supposed to be attached at the top)
p1337811_3.jpg

Finally, the car does not sag at either end, so I assume that the springs are good.
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

Now, after all that, here's my question: is it a fair assumption that my shocks are done? Is there anything else I can check that would account for the noise? While I was in there I had a look at the rest of the suspension components and everything seems to be in good nick. Nothing is loose or wobbly, and nothing appears to be missing.

From what I can find online, these coilovers (?) are rare, being made in 1996 as a limited release from Bridgestone, and they had amazing reviews for their performance characteristics. I will be contacting Tokico on Monday to find out if a rebuild is an option.

I figure worst-case scenario I can buy a set of Megan Racing Track coilovers, but I don't really have a grand to spend right now. Also, I'm going to school in Kelowna in a couple months where the drivers are super aggressive, and I really don't want to have drive my shitty 4cyl Jeep while watching fart-can Hondas run around me.

If you made it this far, thanks. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jerm

Apr 7, 2005
O.C.
I had a very similar problem with my rear shocks. ended up replacing all 4 with konis and energy suspension bumpstops.

Those red foam things are the bumpstops to prevent your shocks from bottoming out over big bumps etc. mangled bumpstop = probably blown shock.

If you're up to it you can remove the coil over and manually check the shock. just move the piston up and down it should have good resistance and slowly move back to it's original position. A blown one will have uneven or resistance and probably will just stay in the fully compressed position

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
I think I have the same ones!! They came with my car! I never heard of them before. Do they have any type of adjustability? Here's some pics of mine, do we have the same ones?
3568069325_212bd74d41.jpg

3568069113_50f582b75b.jpg

3568068735_cff349612e.jpg

3568068487_75002d06aa.jpg

3568068193_075aa86f56.jpg

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
all that grease on the shock is from dirt and dust gathering up with the fluid leaking out of your shock. Basically they are done. With a leaking shock they will only get worse and worse until it quits working altogether. As for the busted up bump stop it could be that the shock is going bad as well causing excessive travel and the car hitting the bump stop and shredding it to bits.

IDK if Tokico has a rebuild option, i know that Bilstein and Koni have rebuild programs available.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Alec: I don't know if they're identical, as mine are gunmetal/black, but it's possible that Bridgestone had more than one release year for their "limited release". Or they had more than one model for the release. The only reason I know (think anyways) that mine came out in 1996 is because I found some similar pics on a Subaru forum, with a little bit of information.

I am confident that your Potenza's are Bridgestone's though.

What do you think of them?

StiCk3: After calling Tokico (and talking to someone who definitely didn't want to be there, I cannot have these rebuilt. This is a shame because the fronts feels fine.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Ash;1351302 said:
Alec: I don't know if they're identical, as mine are gunmetal/black, but it's possible that Bridgestone had more than one release year for their "limited release". Or they had more than one model for the release. The only reason I know (think anyways) that mine came out in 1996 is because I found some similar pics on a Subaru forum, with a little bit of information.

I am confident that your Potenza's are Bridgestone's though.

What do you think of them?

StiCk3: After calling Tokico (and talking to someone who definitely didn't want to be there, I cannot have these rebuilt. This is a shame because the fronts feels fine.

I guess they're OK. I think your rear sits slightly lower than mine. Do these have any type of adjustability? I wish I could stiffen them up a bit and lower the rear slightly. Here's a pic of my cars stance:
3432413067_569c2a6789_o.jpg

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Alec;1355082 said:
I think I have stock springs.
Wow, sorry that took me so long to reply to (computer issues). I haven't really played around with them enough to figure out if they're adjustable. I think I read somewhere that they are, but that was a Subie forum I was reading in, so I wouldn't rely on that.

lewis15498 - good call on the springs; that didn't occur to me. Because I don't really want to mix two different sets of coilovers (or whatever I put in) I am going to try and swap in a new set of 4.

Trying to convince the wife I need a new set of coilovers, but at $1200 ish she ain't convinced.:naughty:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
To be honest, they're not coilovers, they may have been sold as a set, but they're just a simple shock/spring combo.

They don't appear adjustable.

Thow some tokico's on and see if they feel the same (I bet they do).