Rear quarters

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^yep the steering rack brackets are a-symmetrical, I ended up removing USDM 87 steering brackets and welding them onto my 92 front subframe, they are 3/4" (IIRC) difference in position..

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
You can sort of see in this photo where my body guy cut out the old panel (the white filler line)
p1897588_1.jpg

KWITTS

Oct 22, 2012
Calgary
#04;1897511 said:
^yep the steering rack brackets are a-symmetrical, I ended up removing USDM 87 steering brackets and welding them onto my 92 front subframe, they are 3/4" (IIRC) difference in position..

Ouch .... So instead of cutting and welding my lhd subframe would just bolt on ?

KWITTS

Oct 22, 2012
Calgary
adampecush;1897588 said:
You can sort of see in this photo where my body guy cut out the old panel (the white filler line)
p1897651_1.jpg

Thanks for the pics man ... Yea that looks more like it. Cut before the tail lights and the door jam is all I think it may need ... Depends on what it looks like after I take out my rear interior ... Or I could try the swap the fire wall stuff ... In the end do you guys think if I really want a lhd that swapping it would be less work than just replacing my rot

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
KWITTS;1897651 said:
Thanks for the pics man ... Yea that looks more like it. Cut before the tail lights and the door jam is all I think it may need ... Depends on what it looks like after I take out my rear interior ... Or I could try the swap the fire wall stuff ... In the end do you guys think if I really want a lhd that swapping it would be less work than just replacing my rot

personal preference/comfort zone, I prefer to do less filler work and so I placed my welds where the likelyhood of heat warping the panel was less... (I am by no means a fantastic MIG welder)

I also took a career bodyman's advice and installed my quarter with the car weighted (engine and suspension) and tires on the floor, since I do not own a frame machine... although another career bodyman had a differing opinion (since the car was designed to be a targa it should not have different roof gap dimensions [weighted vs. stripped]), and after weighing out of worst case scenario if they were either wrong, I went with the weighted option...

and you can't possibly tell what you need until you get in there, and blast some sand around....unless you own a handy inspection scope... but if it is that bad at the top, the bottoms are probably similar or worse...

have you taken these off to have a look underneath;?
!CBloQ2g!2k~$(KGrHqV,!h0E0FIIziKhBNIS1jPKLg~~_35.JPG

KWITTS

Oct 22, 2012
Calgary
I havnt got the chance to it came with them off already,I have all my original body parts including the three piece spoiler, and those things (whatever you call it ... Skirt lol) my car has a dolphin spoiler and side skirts + both bumper skirts image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

KWITTS

Oct 22, 2012
Calgary
I hate it when guys ask me if I have any sentimental attachments to my car ... How could you not .. Even in its condition it's sexy lol...and it drives like a dream, GREAT ride not to smooth not to hard ... In reality tho not really ... It's just my first supra and I'm quite find of her

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
You like the model. You don't have to have an attachment to that specific car. You can always get another just like it to replace it. Unless you have a specific reason why you like THAT one.

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Right. But just because its a supra doesn't mean you have sentimental value of it

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

KWITTS

Oct 22, 2012
Calgary
True enough ... All the ks are someone else's...but I'm wanting a "project" car ... Either shell I get ill be going over every inch of the car to my liking ... I spend about 5hrs a day researching not only supra itsself but lots of research on engines and timing, mods ect... My supra won't be on the road for a long time and I haven't even started taking it apart yet..I know what I want the car to do and research has become religious for me ... Before then tho I need to get back to square 1 which is a car that has a nice body to work off or to make one that's ready.... And I'd like to thank everyone for their expertise...god I would be so lost without the forums ;)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
KWITTS;1897651 said:

My guy peeled the panel all the way to the door jamb and down behind the mudguard and replaced it. My replacement quarters were removed by drilling out every single spot weld (aside from the wheel well, where the metal was cut) so it was essentially the same as a new panel from toyota.

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
actually cutting them out and brazing new metal in isn't that bad, around the wheel wells its a little tougher to replicate the contours but all in all find a good body shop and ask for a price

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
KWITTS;1898122 said:
Does cutting and replacing the quarter panels weaken the structure ?

didn't weaken mine. the quarters don't really carry any load, they are just body panels. There is probably a little bit of stiffening effect of having them on the car, which you will retain if you spot weld and glue/bond the new ones back into place. (automotive body glue is extremely strong)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Cutting and welding should not weaken the structure at all, even on a unibody car. If anything, replacing the rust with solid metal should make the unibody structure stronger again. Still, as mentioned, the quarters are not structural members of the unibody.

Cutting and replacing with fibreglass might have a weakening effect if it's not bonded properly, but properly bonded fibreglass will still provide rigidity. Still a really minimal effect, since the quarters are not structural. (If they were, then getting a dent would be a really bad thing.)