ready to buy me kicker cvx's what should i get

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
2 ohm or 4ohm i plan on running them of a monoblock jl amp about what size amp will i need to keep them happy?10 or 12 in woofers i think im getting 10 better sq right?:1zhelp:

Last edited:

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Perhaps some more specifics on the amp would help. I have a JL Audio 500/1, it's about 5 years old now. If you have the same amp then it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 4 ohm. The JL will give the same power regardless. Currently mine runs 2 10's and Im very happy with it.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
beachsupra;1184192 said:
2 ohm or 4ohm i plan on running them of a monoblock jl amp about what size amp will i need to keep them happy?10 or 12 in woofers i think im getting 10 better sq right?:1zhelp:

ok let see.... where should we start... i guess the top... yeah that sounds good.

anyways yes i like 10s better for sq but it also depends what you generally listen to. next step. if you are running a "mono block" amp which usually means its a 1ohm stable amplifier... this would determine what speakers and set up you have... your doing two speakers, ok... but are they single or dual voice coil? now you can decide what ohm load.

because if you do the math here.... if you have a 1ohm stable amp you can take 2 dual 4ohm subs and wire them up (parallel) to have those two speakers be 1ohm stable... it really all depends on what you want.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
2 10s, you could go 4 or 2ohm as long as your amp will take it. 10s are the best all around sub...I have a couple that will make more SPL then some of the 12s and 15s out there but they are an SQ sub. Not a big fan of Kicker either, but they hit hard.f

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
03bamaGT;1184758 said:
2 10s, you could go 4 or 2ohm as long as your amp will take it. 10s are the best all around sub...I have a couple that will make more SPL then some of the 12s and 15s out there but they are an SQ sub. Not a big fan of Kicker either, but they hit hard.f

im with you on that i have never liked kicker at all. good for bass but thats about it. right now i have 4 shallow 12's. but that shallow subs actually have a big range of frequency. so everything from 100 or so Hz to around 43Hz in a sealed box sounds great

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Yea...I look at Kicker the same way as I do Sony Xplod(ed)s. Great for bass, but don't sound to good on the SQ side.

I personally like the "off brands" you could say. RE and TC Sounds(they aren't called that any more) FTW!!!

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
03bamaGT;1184838 said:
Yea...I look at Kicker the same way as I do Sony Xplod(ed)s. Great for bass, but don't sound to good on the SQ side.

I personally like the "off brands" you could say. RE and TC Sounds(they aren't called that any more) FTW!!!

yeah i remember the first year sony had the Xploded seriers at SBN (spring break nationals) their car actually Xploded lol. it was great. but yeah RE has some amazing products out and soundstream has come a long way too. i forget if its RE or soundstream but one of them has a 6 or 7 inch one way mid blaster 200watts. they are amazing. and im getting two for my supra

but for my case i went with pioneer shallows becasue pioneer was the originators of the shallow mount and from what ive seen and heard they are the best too.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Dude...go with Focal for mids. If you want some of the best.

Yea my TCs and REs are not exactly shallow mounts haha. My RE is SUPER deep, I use it for low freq. SQ and SPL and to show up the overpriced install shops around here. I have a couple of different TCs, 2 DB500s-2 TC 1000s-and 2 TC3000s<--Best subs I ever bought.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
03bamaGT;1184866 said:
Dude...go with Focal for mids. If you want some of the best.

Yea my TCs and REs are not exactly shallow mounts haha. My RE is SUPER deep, I use it for low freq. SQ and SPL and to show up the overpriced install shops around here. I have a couple of different TCs, 2 DB500s-2 TC 1000s-and 2 TC3000s<--Best subs I ever bought.

you see my avatar right? thats my car... i have a rockford fosgate 1000.1BD and getting around 145Db. not bad ay. im actually getting 1599watts. i had the amp tested and certified

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
I like Rockford amps but feel they are a bit overpriced.

I use Hifonics and US Amps...Have a couple Brutus' and a few of their bigger items haha. It is nice to have 3,000W to mess around with. I use the US Amps in SQ set ups.

What did you hit 145dB with? Term Lab II?

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
03bamaGT;1184874 said:
I like Rockford amps but feel they are a bit overpriced.

I use Hifonics and US Amps...Have a couple Brutus' and a few of their bigger items haha. It is nice to have 3,000W to mess around with. I use the US Amps in SQ set ups.

What did you hit 145dB with? Term Lab II?

nope the 4 pioneer shallows i currently have in my car... the avatar pic... plus i dont pay like anyhting for my equipment because im an installer

EDIT: wow its late and i just realized you said term lab II lol. i dont remember what they used to measure it. but its pretty consistant

Last edited:

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Hmm...find someone who has T-Lab II and see what you pull.

169.5 is the highest dB for a daily driven vehicle...meaning stock windshield. The highest I have ever pulled on the T-Lab II was 133.4dB on a stable, conservative tune on a constant low freq. for 5 seconds.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
03bamaGT;1184906 said:
Hmm...find someone who has T-Lab II and see what you pull.

169.5 is the highest dB for a daily driven vehicle...meaning stock windshield. The highest I have ever pulled on the T-Lab II was 133.4dB on a stable, conservative tune on a constant low freq. for 5 seconds.

well i know ppl from iasca and i believe they use term lab II.... with their setup it was a 143Db

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Back to the Op's question and my previous response; JL Audio amps (at least my series...500/1) don't care what ohm the speaker is to put it simply. They will put out the same power running at 2 ohms and 4 ohms. Not sure if they're 1 ohm stable, never tried and don't know the specs off hand. So that being the case I would go with a sealed box and whatever sub you like.

I used to be an installer and had cars compete in IASCA but it's been a long time and I don't know what is good for SQ now. In my day, JL Audio, soundstream and Image Dynamics were some of my favourites. Not sure how they would match up today.

One piece of advice, it's 30% product and 70% installation. The better and more precise the install, the better it will sound.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
Anth505;1186879 said:
One piece of advice, it's 30% product and 70% installation. The better and more precise the install, the better it will sound.

agreed 100%... i love it when ppl come in with crap there "friends" install stuff that they "know how to install" and they are like "i dont know why its not working" or "i dont know why my amp gets hot and shuts off".... :3d_frown: