Re-torquing headbolts 7M-GE

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
I have the engine out and I have just finished up cleaning the engine as much as I want to. As I was taking apart the intake manifold, there where signs that had been off before. That is to be expected, but once I had the valve covers off it was obvious that the head gasket has been done before. One of the head-bolts showed some minor tool marks. So instead of just going in a replacing the head gasket as I planned, I decided to chance it and re-torque the bolts. I started at 55lbs-ft and all was secure. Moving on to 65lbs-ft still no movement from the bolts, everything secure. I left it at that.

My question is, should I feel safe with the HG as is? I have not run the engine ever, so no clues other than what is above. Thanks for you advice and expert opinions!

C

cnewingham

you have to back them off about a 1/4 turn to release the friction and then re-tq but do one at a time in the correct pattern

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Your call, but if it were me, any 7M motor that I don't know the specific history of will get a new HG and ARP studs or bolts torqued to spec.