Re-doing dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
I just wanted to get some opinions from some of you "experts" out there. I have a 90 Supra with a dark blue interior. I wrote about this a while ago and managed to resolve my vinyl door panel problem. The guy did a very nice repair on the torn area, you can't even notice it....but painted it a little light. The panels are a navy blue and for some reason he painted it more of sky blue. Why I don't know. I went back to the guy and he will not redo it. He says, " You can't get it exact." Unless you paint both panels at the same time, with the same paint, it's very hard to get an exact match. Anyway, what I have done is used some darkening agents like Black Wow and other stuff from auto geek. Also believe it or not olive oil helps to darken vinyl. The two panels now look pretty much the same! Just wondering if you guys know of anything that darkens vinyl that is not a dye. I really don't want to start messing with that. Also I am thinking of putting on one of those aftermarket dashboard trim panels. Has anybody done this? Also what do you think of a dark cherry red burlwood dashboard in a dark blue interior. Wood burl may look out of place. Perhaps a nice black carbon fiber, or maybe blue carbon fiber. Too many choices guys. Just curious if anyone has done this, which company did they use, and what color dashboard would look good. Car is dark navy blue interior with dark blue exterior. Thanks.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Wood anything looks silly in any sports car that isn't an Aston or Jag. If your dash is cracked, no shame in putting a dash mat on it until you can find a suitable replacement.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
back in the day... I used to cover dashes with velvet... vinyl.. leather.. Naugahyde (you know.. the diamond stitched kind... or maybe you dont.. cause thats old school). You can actually nicely upholster a dash pad, although I would never do it to my MK3. (okay.. if it had a big crack, I would repair and cover it with grey leather... )
Basically the dash pad is just a big piece of foam on metal with a vinyl cover. Not sure if you could do a good job plasti-dipping.. lol. (sorry.. that just popped into my head).

Anyway.. stock ones do exist, so I personally would stick with that. If you actually consider recovering the dash pad.. go custom.. like 2 tone with an embroidered Supra name... (did I just get lame?)

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
I don't think you guys' understand what I am talking about. I am NOt talking about a cover for the dashboard. I want to purchase one of those veneers to cover the matte black. You know carbon fiber cut outs to fit over the black pieces. Just wanted some ideas of what might look good in a dark blue interior. Not talking about a cover.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Are you talking about the clear faceplate over the gauges?
I have seen CF and brushed aluminum plates.. I have also seen CF covers for the bottom of the dash as well as the console, console insert and console lid. Not sure if they are still being made, but they do exist.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
pbsupra90;1886364 said:
I don't think you guys' understand what I am talking about. I am NOt talking about a cover for the dashboard. I want to purchase one of those veneers to cover the matte black. You know carbon fiber cut outs to fit over the black pieces. Just wanted some ideas of what might look good in a dark blue interior. Not talking about a cover.
Well, a dashboard is that big piece that spreads the width of the interior that's made of foam and vinyl. Are you talking about the gauge cluster bezel, the shifter surround, something else? Common terminology is quite useful on the internet sir...

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
Yes... I am talking about the gauge cluster, and the matter black around the shift know, radio and a/c dials. I know there was a gauge cluster with a white background, that might have been an option. But I don't have that. Just have black on black. Was thinking of sprucing up matte black area with carbon fiber, or aluminum. But the veneer kits don't have cut out for the speedo and odometer. Not sure which company to use. I don't want to get a whole new gauge bezel. thanks much

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I've seen a CF plate for the factory dash on eBay, and the white face gauge faces are cheap and plentiful as well. Tons of options out there.

A lot fewer if you want a metric speedometer for Canada :(

Status
Not open for further replies.