Radio cutting out

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Ok i installed my sony radio today, Had everything working fine, Then added two more speakers to the car. Problem, When i turn the volume up high like 70% the radio shuts off. Any ideas on why this would happen? No fuses blew and it turns right back on but when i turn it up again it shuts back off like it loses power for a second. Its like when you get a quick power outage at your house and the tv shuts off and turns back on.

Thanks in advance

brian

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Do you know anyone with a sony radio as well that you could plug in your car to make sure that it in fact isn't a bad radio?

NA86.5

NA-T Complete Yo
Jan 20, 2006
Alice Tx
Iam starting to have the same problem with my sony radio too. I guess I will have to just put in a Alpine:evil2:

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
well i have 6 speakers as of now with no amps i didn't install them yet. I ahve the backs wired straight from the deck and the 4 in the front i split wires going to teh 2 on teh right and the 2 on the left. I will be installing amps in the next week or two and change the speaker layout cause i have a set of infintiy reference's to go in

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Do you know the impedance of all the speakers? Are the front speakers running parallel or serial?

It does sound like it's drawing too much power and the head unit is going into a safe mode.

EDIT: What size are the speakers? and what model is the deck?

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
I disconnected the two dash speakers and will reinstall this weekend when i get my amps fixed. I'll also have a set of infinity reference's should i place them in the fron or back with the tweeters in the front, they have crossovers as well

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
could be a few things.

1) Bad ground on the deck
2) You have a pinch in one of your power feeds. Either the feed from your ignition or the feed that comes direct from your battery.
3) Like others have already said, the impedance of your front speakers is too low from putting 2 speakers on a channel and your head unit can't take it and is cutting out.

I dont think its #3. its more likely a bad ground or shitty power wire. if getting rid of 2 speakers doesn't help then I suggest checking you ground first cause its the easiest to fix and most common.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
killarb634 said:
I disconnected the two dash speakers and will reinstall this weekend when i get my amps fixed. I'll also have a set of infinity reference's should i place them in the fron or back with the tweeters in the front, they have crossovers as well
Put them in the front. All of it.

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Ok 2 months later and everything is resolved. I must compliment myself on creating the absolute worst ground from the head unit ever available. Second installed my refernces up front. Ran a better power wire and everything runs perfectly.

Thanks for all the input

Brian