Radiator options?! koyo or mishimoto?

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I have yet to hear someone say anything bad about the Koyo radiator's performance. I don't know if it changes with the 2J swap but the Mishimoto has a history of getting in to fights with the 7M mechanical fan (even after being redesigned). Personally I'd say the Koyo is well worth the extra $72.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I was one of the ones with the problems with the Mishimoto radiator. It kept making contact with the fan blade breaking the blade as well as the shroud eventually puncturing the core and defeating the purpose of having a radiator. Mishimito did redesign it and I haven't had a problem with it since. Im using the factory mechanical fan and shroud. Aside from the price, the main difference is that the Mishimoto is a bit bigger than the Koyo and therefore seems to stick up a bit. The Mishimotot also has a no questions asked lifetime warranty, which is what sold me, that I exercised when the issue with the fan blade came up. I claimed their warranty 3 times before i got the new design and paid $10 for shipping. If your going with electric fans then the issue with the mechanical fan shouldn't be a factor. The Koyo radiator that your looking at is designed for the JZ in a MK3 and the Mishimoto is for the 7M so it would probably look cleaner if you went with the Koyo.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
1986.5supra_kid;1886471 said:
Not sure if the stock mk3 radiator is capable of cooling a 2jzge 8.5:1 CR with 56mm turbo
so what radiator is more bang for the buck and can i keep the mechanical fan or is the electric fan necessary for this application?
It is very capable of what you want to do.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
I didn't had any problem with the mishimoto regarding fitment but
the weld sucks so much, I had to reweld one portion around the top endtank because it was leaking. Yay for a new rad that leaks

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mstgeer;1886580 said:
May want to consider PWR, excellent fit and finish.
If you can find one. IIRC they've been discontinued. If someone knows of a source, they're very well made, BUT... fitment is an issue with the JZ. You'll need to come up with a good fan setup that fits. However, as Nick points out, and I'll elaborate on...

Nick M;1886574 said:
It is very capable of what you want to do.
This is true. More important than the radiator itself (assuming it is in good condition), is the fan setup. If you have a giant radiator, but your fan cannot flow enough air through it (many electric fans just aren't up to the task of a huge radiator), then you have what? A giant heat sink is what.

My only saving grace personally, is that the climate here is fairly dry and cool. My car didn't much like Arizona heat, and that was only in April. I wouldn't have been able to drive the car during the summer.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I have stock rad. Works fine with a 1j and 62mm.

If i were going to pick between the 2 id get the koyo. Even tho mishi has the lifetime warrenty i would rather not have to worry about it and then wait for a replacement.

Dont hear much of anything about koyos getting busted by the fan for no reason.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Fitment and quality of weld (based on using the search button here on this topic) points to Koyo being the better of the 2. The early generation Mishimoto had serious fitment issues IIRC. I run Koyo and have had zero issues in 2 years.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Definitely get a Koyo. There's a reason why Mishimoto puts a lifetime warranty on their rad; Koyo's is 3 years (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong). GrimJack's Koyo popped a little while ago after god knows how long running at 550+WHP being DD'd.

On the other hand, you could possibly get a rad setup like Duane's (upgradedsupra) and get it tucked underneath the rad support? :D

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes. Can always add the fan in front off the condenser and the second ac fan next to the mech fan.

My 89 has the wiring for the one in front of the condenser tho it never came with it.