R154 synchro help

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
My second gear synchro is gone, just wondering how much it may cost to get it fixed or if I should just wait until the actual gear goes and do a marlin crawler build. Opinions?

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Just buy a kit and do it your self... Even if you get the tools that you need it would still be less than new transmission. it is realy not that hard... Unless you see wear marking on hte parts reuse them. You dont have to blueprint it. I have done so many of these things I can do it by feel anymore.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
TOYOTA and DriftMotion... about $400-600 depending on what you need..
I like to put new second gear and 1/2 hub sleeve. It makes it juch crisper when shifting in 2nd...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
2JZ_MA70;1450641 said:
Just buy a kit and do it your self... Even if you get the tools that you need it would still be less than new transmission. it is realy not that hard... Unless you see wear marking on hte parts reuse them. You dont have to blueprint it. I have done so many of these things I can do it by feel anymore.

That's like rebuilding an engine and not checking bearing tolerances. It's the exact reason people seem to think the R154 is weak since they "rebuild" it and it still eats itself.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Look dude... how can you bash on the rebuilds when you haven't even seen what happen. Humm Interesting if it was all tolerances how is it that ALL the BIG MK3 guys are using automatics in the drag cars and everyone with any worth of a drag tire and hard launch is breaking them (cars over 600whp).

Dude I have rebuild multiple transmissions some on way faster cars than the supra and none have had any problems unless pushed past the limitation of the parts... T56- input shaft, 4/3 shift forks... for example,... There is a time when no mater what you do the damn thing will break!!!

One of my friends has owned a transmission repair shop for over 40 years now and he has plenty of good advice and acctual experience in racing. So you keep talking your shit cause you read something somewhere or you heard someone say something about it... (Park Auto Transmissions, North Olmsted, OH... ) go ahead and call him. Another one is Tym Switzer ( Switzer Performance Innovation.) call him too ( although I doubt he would give you the time of day if he didnt know you). Street Stangs in Lagrange OH.... I have done some sort of work for them and Iv been working for a VW for over ten years and Im well respected by plenty of people so really you gonna tell me Im doing it all wrong cause you havent seen my work or even met me.

On a build that would not go past 400Whp yeah you dont have to blueprint the transmission. No wear = No wear = Decent clearance. NOW YOU SHOW ME A PART IN THE R154 THAT SHOWS NO WEAR, IS OUT OF SPEC, AND CAUSED THE TRANSMISSION TO FAIL.

The only critical measurement is run out on the shafts !!!! that NEEDS TO BE CHECKED EVERY TIME!!!

Majority of the clearances in the R are preaty loose to begin with and clearances only serve one purpose to make sure you have decent lubrication. Its a damn truck transmission not a art work. If you ask me it is actually very outdated and not wort a dime in my book.

The kid has issues with the sinchros its not like the transmission had catastrophic failure.

Last edited:

Letsride

Aug 26, 2009
NC
But since he has issues with the synchros is it not possible to have other damage as well? The TSRM is online and since he would be in there already, why not give everything a once over?

Just my 2 cents...:)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nice, now talk to Marlin and ask him with the thrust washers fail.

They fail from the gear back becoming loose and hammering the sintered thrust washer until it breaks.

I don't care what your friend does. Replacing syncros and bearings in a tranny without checking tolerances is a good way to have to do it all over again. Do something half assed is perfect way to get bitten in the ass and it's that mentality that makes me do my own work.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Absolutely... I have talked to few people that do lots of transmissions. Including Liberty's gears whos oner is close frinds with Tym. The have also inspected the units that have failed for me and in their opinion it is not so much the trust washer and back lash as it is lack of lubrication and the gear catching and spining the washer. Especialy when the pin loosens up in the shaft hole. There is no specification from toyota on that. The back of the gear does not have large enough oil trust surace and if it gets damaged or wears... (whitch you can see) it will eventualy fail. It is the trust loading of the gear especialy on harsh shifts that causes the oil film to break. The only real solution is to replace that gear with straight cut gear. Anything else is just a short term repair...
And I have talked to Crawler and they could not guarantee the transmission on anything over 600Whp in drag racing. Their units are build for different purpouse... The Rock Crawlers and Baja Runners dont load teh transmission the same way we do. So yeah in their Race builds tehy would not see teh same faliture rate.. And when they talk about back lash it is most likely play between washer and pin that holds it from spining. I have used their washer with coreclty adjusted first gear(.004-.006") and all washers did not break but had significant wear even with 3 different oil's (red line 75w90ns, Ams oil 75w90 and ams 75w140. none have prevented it.. although the AMS seemed better than the redline. The acceleration is so great in first and second that most all the oil is in the tail shaft by the time 3rd gear hits at that time its by by washer... Like I sad that is MY experience with the transmission in mostly drag racing.

I never had this problem untill I put the clutch and slicks on the car after that I had to be realy careful of long pulls or the trans woudl break. The clutch mainly did it... =) ... I would like to know who has hit 130 or above traps with 1.6-1.8 60" on multiplate clutch and has had that transmission hold up time after time... Seriously it would save me lots of money... Im always up to learning more. I do admit I dont know it all. Just stating what my experience has been.

The R series is reliably good to about 500... Anything past that would require extensive modifications to make it hold up. Im not talking driving on the street on street tires. Once you get it hook on sliks it will break... obviously street tires would break traction and save your trans so will the majority of the single disk clutches.

Im not trying to start a fight Im just stating my personal experience... By all means go ahead and double check your clerances if it makes you feel safe. In what I have learned from people that have had their hands in thousants of transmissions " unless you see wear on the parts it is ok"

Last edited:

manzai

2 supras and counting!
Jul 20, 2006
North Vancouver
Poodles;1457094 said:
For what it's worth Marlin is saying his new race tranny will handle 1000+

Poodles, I manage a body shop. It's always been funny to me that the people who insist on telling you what they know, probably don't. And the people who quietly go about their business, do so because they ACTUALLY know. .. . .:icon_roll

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
Nghty89;1529248 said:
Exactly. Random Zombie Thread revival is always fun... I LOL'ed at this one though.

ya, any thread where 2 peeps are slamming about multiple times is just a waist. but good for a chuckle :) everyone has multiple ways of doing something, some right some not so much. all in all as long as the end result satisfies you, then leave it be. i have my way of doing things thats working for me with awsome success. poo has his, and others have theres.

when i got my supra, i read just about everything on here i could. combined some with what i know and my common sence.. wallah, ive got a great looking car that has never left me hanging.