R154 Shifting problem

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This one is kind of odd and I am wondering if anyone has heard of it or had it happen. My 90 MKIII wont go into first gear unless I push the shifter very firmly towards the top of first. If I let up just a little bit it will grind and pop it into neutral. There is an audible "clunk" right as it engages.

Wondering if the fork is broke or if the synchromesh is gone. All the other gears work as normal.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How does a person "bend" the first fork.. lol. Speed shifting into first?? : )

I will have to drop the tranny to look I guess. No other real option, so I am going to pick up a 3rd tranny and just swap them, then look at the tranny and have a spare. Doesnt everyone?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not sure what you mean by "bad first gear".. should I scold it? :biglaugh:

If I hold the shifter up (push against it in first) the gear does work and I can use it, however.. it is preceded by a audible "clunk" as it engages and if I let go, it will pop out of gear. Not sure, but I am thinking that the fork may be broke so that it "just" reaches the gear..

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
both R154s i've owned have had the same issue that you described. not sure what the problem was cause by, possible worn synchros? (i'm not a gearbox guru) but in the first case replacing the shifter end cap and seat fixed the problem. i use a C's short shifter which makes my pants funny every time I changed gears.