R154 leaking

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
My speedometer stopped working so I climbed under my car to find that not only has the speedometer cable been rubbing against the downpipe but that my R154 has been leaking like mad.

I double checked all my bolt torques to make sure it wasn't something stupid along with checking the speedometer gear o-ring was in good condition and the fill/drain plugs.

It looks to be leaking from the middle of the transmission but why isn't it leaving a mark in my driveway?

Also I have noticed that after driving for around 30 minutes, my shifter stick gets hot from very hot air coming from around the transmission shifter boot.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Anyone else had 'hot air' coming from around the shifter?

I'm going to try replacing the transmission fluid and see if it stops leaking. I'm using royal purple 75w90 and it seems after some research, the transmission doesn't like it.

I've got a new gallon of redline MT fluid here so hope it helps.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The trans will get hotter if it's low on fluid.

Is the shifter boots there?

Is the top seal for the shifter plate good?

Abs? Speed sensor o ring leaking?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Car doesn't have ABS and it doesn't seem that the leaking is coming from the speed sensor. It's wet mostly around the rear extension half.

Shifter boot is still there and last I checked it was good on fluid, just royal purple 75W90 fluid.