r154 clutch problems

akeboshi

Jun 27, 2011
San Diego
hello,
had a question about a recent clutch install gone wrong.i got a new r154 because i thought that i had a bad one (displaying symptoms of bad thrust washer) so i take the old one out come to find out there is a cheapo 6 puck that is totally bad. i buy a stock aisin clutch from toyota and installed it now my pedal feels extremely soft like it isint doing anything and i cant shift if the car is on. i was afaid that i put the disc in backwards (the thicker side faces pp right?) i unbolted the pp and doublechecked and it looks right. i dont know what could be the problem. im sure everything is right, i can see the fork working correctly when the pedal is actuated but with the car on i cant select a gear, just grinds. any ideas? this is my first week owning this car btw 87 mk3 turbo

akeboshi

Jun 27, 2011
San Diego
ok so i triple checked the clutch disc, it is in right, everything seems to be in but the pedal has no feel to it and i cant get any fluid to come out of the clutch slave. well it comes out but doesnt squirt out like it was before. also when the trans is in nuetral and i let off the pedal the car starts vibrating. i did everything as per the tsrm but besides the bleeding problem why is the car vibrating when the clutch pedal is released? im confused and worried about this, does anyone have experience with this at all?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
For the bleeding, Sounds like the master went bad or there is a lot of air if there is no fluid coming out. It has a separate resivour then the brakes.

For the vibrating is the pilot bearing good? Flywheel bolts torqued and tight? Transmission good?

Also fyi if your getting grinding on all gears i would stop trying because the clutch is not fully disengaged.

akeboshi

Jun 27, 2011
San Diego
im gonna buy a new clutch master today, it looks old anyways and as far as flywheel, bolts are tight pilot is good and seems tranny is good (turned over while in each gear car wanted to move) but i think the vibration might be due to the rear tranny mount not bolted tight. all 4 holes were stripped and i tried to helicoil them but the coils wont stay in..... im gonna cut a small hole to slip a nut inside when i get a chance. thanks for the reply