Questions about rear 5.25 install

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Who has done this? And do you have pictures of how you adapted it. There is some trimming involved but the speaker mount is recessed into the box itself so I'm curious how people have gone about it.

Also I noticed that the stock boxes have all these small pin holes through them for some reason. Would sealing those various small air holes on the box yield a better sound quality?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
The boxes are decently tuned for the speakers that are designed to go in them so don't mess with the ports. If i was going to go about replacing them i'd get some 5 inch woofers or a 5 inch componet set and put the tweeters where the 3.5's go and just rid the 3.5's. Would be easiest. Also some people like to point the tweets straight up toward the window cause it bounces the sound forward decently. 5.25's are just a bit finky to fit in the hole.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I've got a 4 speaker setup in my 88, not the 6 speaker setup. Also I'm putting a 12" in the trunk so putting a 5" woofer there is pointless. As for the components its a little more than I'd like to get in to; and the 2 way infinity's I'd be using have aimable tweeters on them anyway with a bit of sound adjustibility. I'm going to be running some 4" infinity 2 ways in the front though the tweeter on those have a bit of power adjustibility you cant aim them like the 5.25's I'm looking at picking up.

Also has anyone ever actually messed with the stock porting on the boxes? I'm just wondering as to what the point of those tiny pinholes are that seem to be all over the box; is it that the box is too small for the stockers and it needs releif holes or something? Although that would make sense I can't see a speaker that size being too big for those boxes. But then again I'm a noob at this so what am I to say.

I've heard of people stuffing the 5.25's in the rear before, just curious to see pictures of how its done before I pickup a set for the rear incase its more of a pita than I thought. I'm making my whole setup as clean or stealth as possible, I'll likely make some sort of audio build thread for it in the near future once I got all the components of the system tracked down.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I discovered today that the Polk db501 (~5", actual dimensions are 111.1mm bracket width, 46mm from bracket to bottom) fit perfectly in the doors. I bought a set of db401's for the doors though, kinda wishing I had just gotten 2 sets of the db501's...

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
So after buying the 6.5'' speaker pods from KevinM Im wanting to upgrade the 4 speakers in the rear. What have you guys been using to upgrade?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll be keeping the Polk db501's in the stock rear boxes, and adding in a couple 5.25 components... I forget which brand, but I heard them in a friend's car, they sound pretty good. :)

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
From everything Ive heard its not important to go balls to the wall with your rear speakers. The important thing to focus on is the front speakers to give you all the sq you need with the rears used just for fill. Unless you all ready have the speakers and paired them correctly to the front speakers, I say just get in there, tear it apart and cut untill it fits. As for the air holes, you could try patching them with something temporary like tape to see what sounds best to you.

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, California
I have JL audio 5.25 TR coaxials in the rear pods. I just screwed them in to the top of the pod instead of seated inside. Had to trim very little. They sound fine.. then I've got 6.5 C5 components with ZR tweeters up front and a w7 woofer. All in an 88 supra.

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
I need some suggestions from the sound gurus on here, its noob time. I wanted to upgrade the 4 inchers in the front since only one works. I would like to stay under $50 for the pair. Whats the best bang for the buck here. Its an 88, I just bought it a week ago, stock radio for now. Also, I was going to do the 5.25 in the rear, and planned to mopunt them like qu3tzlgum8y, if I bolt them to the top, what can I seal them with so I can still utilize the stock ported box. Looking for suggestions on speakers here as well, like to stay under $50. Im not crazy about sq but I do want something better than the rattle pods I have now for speakers. Any help is much appreciated.

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, California
I don't remember having to seal anything.. they sound great. Here's a pic.

p1616060_1.jpg

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
Ok, well I ordered some Sony speakers from OnlineCarStereo, 4 in front and 5.25 for the rear. They should be here today so we shall see how it goes.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I had to modify my rear boxes as my infinity's frame was just a hair too big. It involved cutting out some of the inside structural supports and trimming the inner mounting flange, then I filled the gap with urethane and trimmed it to fit properly. No modifying of the outside of the enclosure. I'll post up pics of it all when I'm done in case someone else runs into a similar situation.

I ran into a similar mounting depth issue in the front with my 4" infinitys. Though the solution was alot simpler.