questions about mk3 differentials????

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The 4.10 Torsen found in the TTR was also known to be a bit weaker than the clutch type diffs.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I wouldnt use a torsen with R compound tires. I know two people have used them Dr Jonz and Prscokr and had some sucess with them but there have been noted failures. Also torsens, due to design, do not operate well when a tire is completly unloaded.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supraguru05;1759214 said:
I wouldnt use a torsen with R compound tires. I know two people have used them Dr Jonz and Prscokr and had some sucess with them but there have been noted failures. Also torsens, due to design, do not operate well when a tire is completly unloaded.
Confirmed, lift a wheel = 0 drive

Poodles;1759251 said:
Best term to use with a torsen driven at the limit is "spooky."
Never found that to be the case with mine.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Didn't yours have a preload/clutch in it as well?

Both Miatas have had torsens, and coming from driving something with an open diff or a clutch style, it feels odd. I found it almost feels like it's pushing you tighter into the turn instead of fighting you like a clutch LSD, and if you do lose a wheel it goes between being an open diff to an limited slip and it doesn't feel as predictable as a clutch style.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The T1 in the Supra was no preloaded, only the TrueTrac had it.

Have to admit I was a bit freaked the first time I nailed it in a straight line, just felt like clutch slip as the car tracked in a striaght line and didn't try to follow the camber on the road and get sideways, actually had a friend hang out of the car to watch the rear wheel ;)

I :love: the fact they don't induce understeer!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1759287 said:
Both Miatas have had torsens, and coming from driving something with an open diff or a clutch style, it feels odd. I found it almost feels like it's pushing you tighter into the turn instead of fighting you like a clutch LSD...

I always liked the way the Miata would rotate into the corner, but always figured it was a balance thing, or suspension setup. Never once gave any thought to the differential having that effect. Time to experiment on GT5 and see what causes what *off* the paper. :)

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
It is believed that Toyota actually spend more money on patent payments (which for a period ironically went indirectly into Dr. Piech's pocket) ,than what they paid for the purchase of Torsen Traction a few years ago. They did all that for a reason -> torsen is one of the engineering wonders of the past century - simple and genius at the same time!

For MA70 Torsen T1 is not an option ,not only the failures but the stress analyses on Adam's broken diff prove that. I still use the final drive from the very same differential with CUSCO internals ,but that is all that was rendered usable from his T1 unit.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
LordDigital;1759647 said:
It is believed that Toyota actually spend more money on patent payments (which for a period ironically went indirectly into Dr. Piech's pocket) ,than what they paid for the purchase of Torsen Traction a few years ago. They did all that for a reason -> torsen is one of the engineering wonders of the past century - simple and genius at the same time!

For MA70 Torsen T1 is not an option ,not only the failures but the stress analyses on Adam's broken diff prove that. I still use the final drive from the very same differential with CUSCO internals ,but that is all that was rendered usable from his T1 unit.

Kaaz diffs can be made 1.5 way for around $100 to buy the other set of "cams". Thats what I am using vs the factory diff.

On an unrelated note. Just saw that your from chicago I raced at autobahn in joilet last weekend.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
supraguru05;1760483 said:
Kaaz diffs can be made 1.5 way for around $100 to buy the other set of "cams". Thats what I am using vs the factory diff.

On an unrelated note. Just saw that your from chicago I raced at autobahn in joilet last weekend.

Lucky you with KAAZ ,my CUSCO is the wrong one - can only be set 1way or 2way thus have to drive it in 1way configuration.

Autobahn is a good track ,it could've a lot better if they were able to purchase the lot south of them back in the days when they were building it or if it was not so bumpy. My supra in TKO evolution had many TimeAttack class records on the autobahn south course ,with 3 or more top 5 finishes.

mk3racer

Mar 5, 2009
Northern Virginia
Take a look at this info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen
The T-2 torsen, also known as T-2R (RaceMaster), and to quote from that link: "The Torsen T-2R RaceMaster is the only Torsen to have a preload clutch. So, even if a wheel is airborne, torque is applied to the other side." I recently installed this torsen which was imported from Japan and came off a toyota Chaser. Another good thing about it is that it fit the USDM side shafts. Only thing I had to do was adjust backlash and preload. Since I reused my original ring and pinion, I retained the 3.7:1 final ratio. Driving with this diff feels far better than the original clutch lsd. I tested the car in the rain and the difference is night and day, and now I can throtle steer the car with ease. Down side is it is twice the cost of used T-1 torsens. I do not know how much stronger is it compared to T-1 type, but will post if it breaks.

I am signed up for HPDE2 at hyperfest this month, so will see how much it will it improve the speed exiting the turns and in the esses.