question about stance?

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
alright so i have a couple questions about a potential setup for my car. i've looked quite a bit on the forums so far but still haven't found all the answers..

so the shell i bought to swap everything into had some tokico illuminas that look like they are still pretty good, and provides a nice stance by themselves, but there is just stock springs on them, so my first question is what lowering spring would be my best choice?
i see a lot of people get the eibach pro's, so i was thinking about those.
i have Starion wheels that poke out a bit, so if i got the eibach's or any other spring, would i be so low that i would have to roll the fenders?

and anybody who happens to have this same setup by chance, what's the ride height look like overall? i'm not trying to go rediculously low, but i wanna get rid of the wheel gap and look good. it's gonna be my DD when its all finished, and i probably won't track it anytime soon

and to go a completely diferrent direction, would it be more worth it to just rip out the tokico's, sell them, save money not buying springs, and just go coilovers? i know for most, coilovers are waaaay better to go, so the money i get for selling the tokico's and saving on the springs might be relatively close to a brand new set of coilovers, so just trying to be cost effective here :icon_bigg

what all do you guys think? any help is appreciated :)

also, anything else i should replace while i am installing the springs/coilovers?

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Need more information. Need to know your wheel width, offset and tire size. I ran 17X9 +30 wheels with 275 tires with eibach springs and did a simple roll on the fenders nothing extreme.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
As far as looks go, it's hard to beat the way the Eibach's look on our cars, but economically, a good set of coilovers are a good buy.

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
the fronts will be 16x7 +16 with some 225 tires on them, rears are 16x8 -12 also with 225's on them, but will be upgrading to 245's at least soon. pic shows the 16x8 on the front of the car. the 16x7's sit pretty flush on it, poking out just a little bit.
DSCF2089.JPG

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
TurboTarga;1931292 said:
...rears are 16x8 -12 also with 225's on them...
Uhh... have you test fit those yet? Just some rough calculations, those wheels in the rear are probably going to be a good bit outside the wheel well. If you don't like super stiff suspension, you're be chewing up tires pretty regularly.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
Here is the best answer you will receive.

My first setup- Eibach pros with iirc 225 55 16 tires all around. Not the crap looking "stance"

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
I did not like it one bit...so I bought a set of Megan Track coilys. The stance speaks for itself. With 205 50 16 all four.

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
mikejza70;1935598 said:
I did not like it one bit...so I bought a set of Megan Track coilys. The stance speaks for itself. With 205 50 16 all four.

nice man i do really like that stance you have! ill be looking into getting some of those when my current setup wears out

i ended up up cleaning up the suspension system that came on my shell when i bought it, and the springs and shocks were so dirty i didn't realize they weren't stock!
so i have H&R's all around with Tokico Illumina II's now and its pretty low. i have about a finger of wheel gap in the back, and that's with my tools and 2 subs back there. and yes, i do have some rubbing going on with the rear drivers side tire, so im looking to flare my fenders out a little bit to compensate. but man i'm just so in love with the look of those starion wheels :love:

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
I like the way your tires look with the 205s... only problem is you only have 205mm of tire on the road... I would almost suggest looking into getting the wheels machined so they sit in more and you can get a wider tire on there... Just my preference though... Not trying to impose on your look. Coilovers would be your best bet so that you can fully adjust your look and custom tailor your fitment. I was going to suggest H&Rs, but it appears you have already resolved this issue. I have a friend with the Lincoln mesh 16s on 2255016 tires and it sits awesome. He had a little rubbing in the rear, we rolled his quarter panels and no more rubbing. I'm not sure on the offset of the wheels but it is pretty aggressive for a stock wheel. Good luck on your set up and look forward to seeing some pictures.

supraficial

Mar 20, 2013
Southern MD
^^ To go further into the guy above, that is banking on the fact he has his rear balanced, some people now that are into stance use some pretty decent amounts of negative camber, (can't see the pics on my phone too well) so that 205mm could even be reduced.