question about slicks

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Yes. Can you still break it? Yes. In most respects the Mk3 was a very over-engineered car...

Edit: Which rear end are you speaking of specifically? I've heard less than favorable things about Mk2 diffs when looking into spicing mine up a bit.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Typically, people bend the traction bars before anything else. The second most common issue I've heard of is breaking the subframe itself, usually due to the mounting bushings being totally shot and the subframe will be twisted in weird ways it wasn't intended to be under heavy load.

Blowing up the differential itself won't likely happen unless there's something already wrong with it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
drod23;1769481 said:
i have a 4.1 lsd i believe and i already upgraded the traction arms with battleversion ones..
4.10 Torsen that came in the TT-R? If so, those have the reputation of being the weakest of the Mk3 differentials. However I have no experience with them, nor have I heard of any breaking, so take that with a grain of salt. Worst case scenario, you break it, you have an excuse to buy a Cusco or something like that. :)

GrimJack;1769519 said:
PS: Slicks != Drag radials

Do or do not equal? =/= is what I've seen most often for 'does not equal', you're just confusing me Grim. :p

Pretty sure you mean 'do not equal' though, going off what I know of tires. You can drive around on drag radials, but they won't give you the sort of traction proper slicks will.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
They also shock the shit out of your drivetrain if you dead hook on them. Slicks have more give to them. Regardless, they are two completely different things.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
te72;1769631 said:
Do or do not equal? =/= is what I've seen most often for 'does not equal', you're just confusing me Grim. :p
C was my first real hacking language... of course, I'd done lots of stuff before then in various BASIC implementations, and a fair bit of machine code that was specific to the chip being coded as well, but C is really where it all started for me.

In C, the operator for not equal to is !=. The operator for equal to is ==.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind you probably have a lot of milage on it, and most people completely forget to change the lube in the diff and tranny. It doesn't hold a lot to begin with either.

Oh, and they use a crush sleeve for pinion bearing preload. It's a terrible design and leads to failure, especially when abused.

Rebuilt diff with a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve will take a hell of a lot of abuse. Unless it's a torsen of course...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1769698 said:
C was my first real hacking language... of course, I'd done lots of stuff before then in various BASIC implementations, and a fair bit of machine code that was specific to the chip being coded as well, but C is really where it all started for me.

In C, the operator for not equal to is !=. The operator for equal to is ==.
Never got into C of any sort (nor any real programming language), about all I knew/learned was hexidecimal programming for using the Gameshark on PS1 haha... Learned something new today. :)

Poodles;1769710 said:
Rebuilt diff with a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve will take a hell of a lot of abuse. Unless it's a torsen of course...
He mentioned 4.1, and to my knowledge, torsen was the only diff with that ratio, correct?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1769977 said:
Actually, 4.1 is pretty common in both open and regular LSD types. Found on most of the non turbo cars, as I recall.

Torsen is rare - pretty unlikely that you have one.
I thought the Mk3 only had a 4.3, and the Mk2 was the one that got the 4.1?

drod23;1770658 said:
didnt only the jza70 have torsen? and the ma70 had clutch type lsd's
To my understanding that is correct.