question about master cylinder

ahuynh12

Nov 7, 2008
Oklahoma City
I need a brake master cylinder for my 87 supra. I'm having a hard time finding a brake master cylinder (abs) with a reservoir at a reasonable price. I'm wondering if you can switch the old reservoir onto the new master cylinder without damaging the old reservoir. Thanks in advance

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I have never done one for a Supra but I have seen it done to other vehicles. It looks like once you remove that pin located in the lower middle of the plastic it should come off and I would imagine you would see two o-rings to seal the reservoir to the metal master cylinder housing.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Driftmotion.com has one with the reservoir for $209...not sure what your definition of reasonably priced is. IIRC the reservoir is only held in place by the 2 rubber gaskets and one Phillips screw on the intake manifold side. Take the screw out and wiggle it out of the rubber seals. Do not think you should have any issues swapping the resevoir to a new master cylinder.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yup, about $70 for the ABS master cylinder w/o reservoir on rockauto.
Not a bad price.

Centric has one with reservoir for $177, no core return required.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Few years ago I got an OEM from Toyota with the reservoir, cost about $170 brand new which was about the same price most parts places wanted for a remanned one.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Nice!
Looks like they are about ~$213 now from the dealer.

Time to stock up on parts!
They keep going up up up. :D