Question about 1jz swap parts

supramark388

Jul 2, 2009
greer
My mk3 supra is in the shop right now and the mechanics tell me that the intercooler that I bought is a piece of crap and shouldnt be used for the 1jz swap. They want me to buy a trust greddy intercooler kit and aem gen 1 standalone with the 1jz swap because they say the ecu I have wont run right in the car. The engine came out of a sc300 with the orginal ecu and harness. I bought the intercooler off of driftmotion, the universal intercooler. Driftmotion says that they ususally put that intercooler on their 1jz swaps. My 1jz is pretty standard, stock turbos, and such but with a aftermarket down pipe, aftermark exhaust, koyo radiator, lightweight pullys, fal fans, silicon hoses, and light weight flywheel and stuff.
So my questions are do I need a greddy intercooler kit and do I need a aem gen 1 standalone?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
As for the intercooler from driftmotion, I've been running mine for about four years now and I've made 616rwhp with it. I also have their universal ic piping kit. It will work fine for your setup.

I don't know about the sc300 ecu, but the AEM is a good unit if you can afford it.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Sc300? or do you mean a Soarer. One has a 2JZGE and the other has a 1JZGTE. I wouldn't worry about the inter-cooler, Driftmotion has been around for a while I doubt they would suggest/use something that was garbage. I don't get what they are saying about the ECU not working. Why wouldn't it work? I suspect they don't want to have to deal with extending a JDM harness or matching the body harness to the main harness.

There is a section with a lot of information on this.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?1-1986.5-1992-(MKIII)-Supra-Discussion
This is what I think they are trying to avoid
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?43888-**How-to-wire-a-soarer-1JZ-into-MA70**

My suggestion is to pause on the swap and take a good day or two and research. Buyer Beware good luck

supramark388

Jul 2, 2009
greer
mattsplat72;1533542 said:
Sc300? or do you mean a Soarer. One has a 2JZGE and the other has a 1JZGTE. I wouldn't worry about the inter-cooler, Driftmotion has been around for a while I doubt they would suggest/use something that was garbage. I don't get what they are saying about the ECU not working. Why wouldn't it work? I suspect they don't want to have to deal with extending a JDM harness or matching the body harness to the main harness.

There is a section with a lot of information on this.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?1-1986.5-1992-(MKIII)-Supra-Discussion
This is what I think they are trying to avoid
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?43888-**How-to-wire-a-soarer-1JZ-into-MA70**

My suggestion is to pause on the swap and take a good day or two and research. Buyer Beware good luck

I have always thought the 1jz I got came from an sc300, but you might be right on the mark about the soarer. Thanks for the info about the intercooler cause I really didnt want to spend $1300 on a trust greddy intercooler kit. That makes my decisions that much more easier. As for the ecu, they said that the ecu I have would work but they said something like "we cant tune it they way it should be tunned." I was thinking when they said that like, I know people have been doing the swap for years without major problems of tunning a pretty much stock motor in their mk3's. I was really thinking of what you said mattsplat72 of them not wanting to extend the harness to make it work with the body harness. Yeah I think I should do some more research, thanks mattsplat72 for the links. Much appreciated!!

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
No problem, I am in the middle of a 1j swap. I am using a Chaser 1j which has only half of the wiring harness the other piece's are a part of the body harness that is on the car which is most likely a soda can in Japan now lol. I am somewhat scared of doing it,But there is a crap ton of information on the forms. Just take your time and RESEARCH till you are sick of it and then do some more.

I am still a little unclear about the ECU issue, Are they trying to get you to buy a Standalone so they can tune the Car?
It seems like that is a little premature at this time. you are running a Stock set up correct? What is the reason for the need to tune? I feel like I am missing some information here.

supramark388

Jul 2, 2009
greer
mattsplat72;1533927 said:
No problem, I am in the middle of a 1j swap. I am using a Chaser 1j which has only half of the wiring harness the other piece's are a part of the body harness that is on the car which is most likely a soda can in Japan now lol. I am somewhat scared of doing it,But there is a crap ton of information on the forms. Just take your time and RESEARCH till you are sick of it and then do some more.

I am still a little unclear about the ECU issue, Are they trying to get you to buy a Standalone so they can tune the Car?
It seems like that is a little premature at this time. you are running a Stock set up correct? What is the reason for the need to tune? I feel like I am missing some information here.

well for the ECU, they said "are you wanting to make big power as for going with a single turbo in the future?!?" and I said yes but not right now, I just want the 1j to be running sound without any problems before going to make big power. They said "if you have the extra money why not go with a standalone system?!?" they also said that "it would be cheaper to get a standalone right now while the 1j is out of the car, then sink in the 1j with the stock harness and ECU then decide to go with a standalone later down the road." The next thing they said didnt make much sense to me, they said, "if you go standalone later on down the road we would have to pull the 1j out of the car and hook up the standalone with a 2j harness which will cost you a lot of money because if you had the 1j still in the car it would be harder to hook up the standalone while fighting with the car." I said yes that may be true but I said that money is a little tight right now. Mattsplat72 if I did go standalone wouldnt I pay extra money for them to program the whole ECU to tell the car what to do at what time??? Plus I would rather get some safety equipment on the car first before making big power and going with a standalone, ie bigger brakes, 5 point harness, roll cage and such. You need to be safe with all that power. Yes I am running stock set up on the car with stock turbos, the only things not stock are the 3in full exhaust, 3in downpipe, 550cc injectors with 2j resistor pack, koyo radiator, low temp thermostat, apexi intake, lightweight pullies, lightweight driveshaft, fal electric fans, driftmotion 1j intercooler, driftmotion lightweight 1j flywheel, action stage 3 clutch kit. And all of that is pretty much stock, probably making 25 extra hp. When the guy said "I could tune it for you!" LOL tune what?? its stock, you might have to iron out some bugs but you cant tune it like it has a bigger turbo.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
"it would be cheaper to get a standalone right now while the 1j is out of the car, then sink in the 1j with the stock harness and ECU then decide to go with a standalone later down the road."
Why? What would be the reason for the increase in cost?
"if you go standalone later on down the road we would have to pull the 1j out of the car and hook up the standalone with a 2j harness"
What the hell are they talking about?
For this topic the 1jzgte came in three main cars in japan with differences in trim levels. The Chaser, Soarer (SC300, SC400 In US ) and the Supra. All three were and still are heavily supported in the JDM market. All after market standalone ECU utilize the factory harness to my knowledge. So why would you need a harness from a 2JZ?
Most standalone ecu have a preprogramed base map for your car that is similar to the stock presets. You wouldn't need to start tuning until you started to go beyond the factory parameters.

Really sounds like this shop isn't very good at their job. I would personally pull my car ASAP.