Project Cracker - Update #2 - No 56K

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Your roll eyes threw me off. LOL. Damn internets is srs bsns. LOL!

That car looks good by the way. I recently picked up an 86.5 shell, same color, hardtop no engine or tranny (was previously 5 speed)

It's stripped for paint on the interior, and a roll cage whenever I get off my lazy ass and talk to Bryan (slow66), then is getting painted black. :)

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
shaeff;1375676 said:
Your roll eyes threw me off. LOL. Damn internets is srs bsns. LOL!

That car looks good by the way. I recently picked up an 86.5 shell, same color, hardtop no engine or tranny (was previously 5 speed)

It's stripped for paint on the interior, and a roll cage whenever I get off my lazy ass and talk to Bryan (slow66), then is getting painted black. :)

Getting ready to buy new mouldings, one piece spoiler, mirror, and hopefully get the engine done.

Been to hot to work on.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Finally got some work done on the Supra tonight.

Been working so much lately its been getting done little by little.

Head has been removed and reinstalled with the new gasket. Cylinders look pretty decent, can't complain much. Could be better, but meh.

Bassically all there is now is to put everything back on around it. Hopefully this time tomorrow It'll be driving!

Pics in no particular order. And No, thats not the new gasket on the ground.

p1389434_1.jpg

p1389434_2.jpg

p1389434_3.jpg

p1389434_4.jpg

p1389434_5.jpg

p1389434_6.jpg

New moldings are being paid for on Friday. Also a oem 1 piece spoiler.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
It’s like the twin to my 87 I just picked up, but you have a targa and red interior, so maybe not quite a twin, but similar none the less. Your car makes me wish mine was a targa, no AC = hot. Hehehe.

It looks like you still have the factory front lip, I wouldn’t dare to trade that for a 89+ bumper! My 86 had one and upon restoring it, well it never made it back on the car, hehe, but I have it waiting for a empty hour or two.

The previous owner of my car had used wood screws on two of the molding. But they weren’t as blatant as the ones on yours, what were people thinking?!? Are you going to paint the new moldings the same color as the car or leave them alone?

Really didn’t waste any time pulling that head! Good one on that! Make sure you don't loose any of the washers that go with each head bolt. Good luck to ya!

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Chambers;1389593 said:
It’s like the twin to my 87 I just picked up, but you have a targa and red interior, so maybe not quite a twin, but similar none the less. Your car makes me wish mine was a targa, no AC = hot. Hehehe.

It looks like you still have the factory front lip, I wouldn’t dare to trade that for a 89+ bumper! My 86 had one and upon restoring it, well it never made it back on the car, hehe, but I have it waiting for a empty hour or two.

The previous owner of my car had used wood screws on two of the molding. But they weren’t as blatant as the ones on yours, what were people thinking?!? Are you going to paint the new moldings the same color as the car or leave them alone?

Really didn’t waste any time pulling that head! Good one on that! Make sure you don't loose any of the washers that go with each head bolt. Good luck to ya!

LOL, Yea, we flipped the head upside down and we're cleaning the face, and we kept hearing "clunks"

We turned it over and saw all the washer, so we had to dig around under the cam for the ones that didnt make it out all the way.

Moldings I'm getting are staying black, i love the contrast of them.

The lip is nice, but its warped =\

Hopefully this beast is running tomorrow.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Got some flashbacks to when I picked my 88 up. Salt + Pre89 moldings = FTL

If you're going 89+ moldings I'd swap the tails too or else you'll have the rear center molding mismatched, and besides the 89+ tails look better imo anyway but to each his own.

If you're going to go white I'd suggest looking at starfire white pearl.

Good luck on the build man.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Canuckrz;1389983 said:
Got some flashbacks to when I picked my 88 up. Salt + Pre89 moldings = FTL

If you're going 89+ moldings I'd swap the tails too or else you'll have the rear center molding mismatched, and besides the 89+ tails look better imo anyway but to each his own.

If you're going to go white I'd suggest looking at starfire white pearl.

Good luck on the build man.

Getting 89- moldings that are in great shape. I live next to a car wash, so Im making sure salt isnt getting inside these things, atleast not for long.

Well, would have had it running last night, but my stupid ass dropped and lost a crush washer for the fuel line. Toyota didnt even have em in stock so now i gotta wait till the morning. Might just tighten it and turn it over real fast and deal with the bit of gas leak just to hear it run.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
IT IS RUNNING..............AND LEAKING ANTIFREEZE WOO. -.-

First like was because of a missing clamp going from the bottom of the thermostat housing to the head/block area.

Fixed that and now its leaking somewhere else and I can't pinpoint it. But it looks like its leaking less and less so HOPEFULLY its just left over from the last leak......

Started it and it ran perfectly. Only draw back was the big ass plume of white smoke behind it. Burning off what water was left in the cylinders.

Changing oil in the morning and bleeding the cooling system then taking it on its maiden voyage to our local car club meet at a park.

Random pic of my jumping it with the bimmer:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The Motor:
p1390937_1.jpg

And kinda funny, all the grease marks on the body, and then the clean hood.... I think i need a wash and wax.........
p1390937_2.jpg

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Took it on a 120 mile trip.

The bads:
Brakes need to be replaced.
Needs new tires
Needs an alignment
Needs a tierod

Also need to figure out why i have such low oil pressure. Any ideas?

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
So, the next buys:

4 new tires (all seasons for the coming winter): $240-300
4 new disc rotors and Pads: $400
New rack and pinion: $200
Lowering Springs(Coilovers are too expensive for me at this point, I don't plan on auto crossing or racing this for a long time: $250
Then an alignment: $75

Total: $1165 - $1225

This will be all i will do till after winter, when i start sourcing for a 1JZ or 2JZ.

WesPatt

Dec 3, 2008
Nashville Tennessee
Whats the oil pressure guage at?

I have a 7m-ge currently, and mine runs fine, but oil pressure always seems low too.

Just curious if all 7m NA's are like that.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Just broke it.

Decided to have some fun, overheated the motor so i shut it down. Wouldn't start back up, had to push it back home.

Time to start saving for a new motor!

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
It fixed itself, lol. Went outside this morning and it fired right up. Topped off the antifreeze and its good to go again.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Didnt fix itself all the way.

As for where the coolant is going, i got no friggin idea.

Not really gonna worry about it. Engine goes, it goes.