Pre-Purchase Inspection Tips

wolfman_matt

Stocker
May 8, 2008
Apex, NC
Guys - I've been searching for several hours and come up empty. I know there must be a thread with a list of common issues to check when inspecting a used 7mtge vehicle prior to purchase. I know the BHG is a big issue but can someone please point me in the right direction? I can't wait to get back into a Supra after 14 years. Thanks Matt

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
basics are the same for any car really but heres some I used when I was looking for a supra.

1. Check the oil and coolant. Milkshake can tell you alot quicker than a compression test as an early indicator.
2. Check that the body panels still have their VIN tags on them. If they are missing the car may have been wrecked/rebuild before.
3. Get a vehicle history report. Carfax works well but doesnt always catch everything.
4. Check the spare tire well for rust. Bad hatch seals can let water in and stagnate.
5. GET ALL THE RECORDS YOU CAN! IF THEY DON'T HAVE THEM IT DIDN'T HAPPEN/WASN'T DONE!
6. See #5 again.
7. Check turbo (if equipped) for signs of play.
8. Check targa seals for signs of leakage.
9. Compression test is good.
10. Look for hacked wiring. More and more people are playing with wiring that don't know what they are doing that can lead to headaches down the road.
11. Heck look for any modifications/signs of abuse/removed parts (shiney, new metal; scratched paint in the engine bay etc)

That should be a good starter for you. To check these things bring along a 10,12,14mm socket, a philips screwdriver and a flathead. Actually with those tools you can disassemble most of the car if the mood strikes you...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Well

remember it is at least a 16 years old and possibly 21 years old.

What that means is EVERYTHING has to be looked at.

Hoses, lines, rubbers, bushing, undercarriage. Mods, engine. mileage. Specifics? Nope. The entire car. If you ever done shopping for old american cars, the same inspection process you would use on those cars, you would use on these cars now.

The mentality needs to change from buying a "used" car to buying a car that will need LOTS of attention and possible restoration. Time kills all and the supra and all its parts are no exception.