Power Steering

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
I just picked up a 7m oil cooler that I want to use as PS cooler. What is the best way to clean it good and remove all the old oil and gunk it may have build up before I use it. As for fluid, would you recommend synthetic fluid for power steering or just use Dexron III?

Thanks.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The best way is to send it out to be professionally cleaned. Barring that you can circulate hot solvent through it. Even better is a slurry of fine mesh light abrasive. At least let some solvent sit in it for a few nights. Rinse, repeat, rinse again.

Use synthetic and add a filter. The Magnefine is an easy install:

http://tinyurl.com/yed4wx

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
jetjock;877998 said:
The best way is to send it out to be professionally cleaned. Barring that you can circulate hot solvent through it. Even better is a slurry of fine mesh light abrasive. At least let some solvent sit in it for a few nights. Rinse, repeat, rinse again.

Use synthetic and add a filter. The Magnefine is an easy install:

http://tinyurl.com/yed4wx

Good call, probably best to take it to a rad shop and have them clean it. So synthetic fluid can be used in our power steering. I didn't know for sure as the TSRM calls for ATF Dexron fluid.

Thanks.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There are several syn ATF Dexron III out there ;)
I'm pretty sure the latest version Toyota ATF is a syn and can be used.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...I can believe that. I'm reading conflicting info on the Toyota ATF myself. I use Castrol ATF in the tranny...I tried Amsoil syn and got some clutch slippage. Had some of the Amsoil left over and use it in the power steering...works fine so far (10K miles).

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
i've been running mobil 1 ATF in my power steering for about 40,000km now with good results. I purchased it from Canadian tire. I had pump starvation issues along with some noise. I cleaned and flushed the reservoir and flushed the system with the new ATF. It quieted any pump noise I did have. I check it frequently and it has created no leaks, after 40k, the fluid still smells new and looks like it just came out of the bottle. I'd recommend it.

although a filter isn't a bad idea, I think it should be mentioned that it could be considered overkill (I would). Toyota doesn't suggest a change interval, only inspection, and you'd probably be using a superior ATF to that of the factory fill. If you change it every couple years I'm sure you'd be way ahead of the game, before any sludge or particulate matter could consider forming. I am not an "expert" but seems like money could be better spent elsewhere.

Jdub, feel free to edit any part of this message or not allow it to be posted if you think I'm wrong.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
TS - Mobil 1 ATF would be an excellent choice as well. Keep in mind power steering fluid lives a rather "cushy" life compared to motor oil. A filter is not a bad idea IMO...there is actually a screen type filter in the PS reservoir. It's purpose is to keep any debris out of the pump...a filter like the one JJ suggested will do even a better job. Bonus - it will go a long time before you have to clean it ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
My two cents:

Power steering is a hydraulic system and like all hydraulic systems has parts that are intolerant of contaminated fluid in the form of heat and particulate matter that is inevitably introduced from the outside to go along with stuff the system sheds on it's own. Contaminated fluid in the form of dirt and heat is *the* single greatest killer of all hydraulic systems, especially ones where the fluid quantity is small.

Using synthetic fluid will prevent deposits (gums, varnishing) from oxidation but will do nothing to keep itself clean and cool. In other words hot synthetic fluid with crap in it that itself has held up well from a fluid standpoint will do just as good a job ruining seals and wearing close tolerance parts as will "worn out" hot and dirty petroleum based fluid. Heat is heat and dirt is dirt regardless of the carrier's quality. The two best things you can to to extend the life of any hydraulic system is to clean and cool the fluid no matter it's composition. This all goes double for auto trannys which are of course also hydraulic systems. Even more so because they're self contaminating to a much larger degree.

If these basic fluid power engineering facts aren't enough every part of my filter and cooler equipped synthetic filled system is original and still working flawlessly after nearly 21years. The fluid has only been changed twice, the filter four times.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
JJ, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I agree it's a good idea and understand what powersteering fluid goes through. I understand the concept that a higher quality carrier does not mean particulate matter will be reduced.

I just want people to take geekiness and some suggestions with a grain of salt sometimes, that's all.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Well...opinion is a matter of perspective. On aircraft, the hydraulic systems have both filters and cooling provisions...the reason, failure can be a very bad thing resulting in your termination. Both JJ and I have that perspective and it carries over to the other machines we run. Not because it has the same consequence, but because reliability is measurably increased and is proven. The #1 killer of hydraulic systems is heat and #2 is debris in the system. A supra has two hydraulic systems that circulate fluid...power steering and automatic trannys. A cooler and a filter will make both last a long time...both systems already have a cooler (I've upgraded my tranny cooler) and I have added a filter to the tranny. A filter will be going on my power steering as well and it will get an upgraded cooler....when I pull the nose off it will be easy to do.

Geekiness? I don't think so...Added insurance to effect reliability? You bet ;)

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
I just got the 7m cooler installed, flushed the old Dexron fluid and replaced with Mobil 1 ATF. It's definitely an improvement over the stock power steering cooler. I also just ordered the Magnefine filter and will install next w/e when it comes in.

Thanks for your recommendation.

Andy

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
good info. Something I never thought about. Im glad you guys provide us with good ideas and good info to back it up. What size cooler has anyone tried. I would suspect something not too big would be adequate for the PS

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I never have cared for the tube and fin coolers. I really like the fact of getting use out of my stock cooler too. But Im not sure I have the room for it as I used the stock spot for my oil thermostat. I did find this one, but I bet its pricey. And im not wanting to spend alot on this
http://www.fluidyne.com/pl_theoc.html#Therm-Hx%20Engine Oil Coolers DB-30618, DB-30816
I will try to find a mounting spot for the stock cooler. If not I will have a decision to make. Thanks AGAIN John!