Power steering issue, replaced rack and pump, need help

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
Hello all, i am working on a buddies car, its a 1990. he just bought it, and the guy he got it from said it needed a power steering pump. He brought the car to me and a new pump and i replaced it as well as the pressure hose. No change, no power steering what so ever. We then ordered a reman rack, it showed up and i replaced it. and still nothing, after some diag, i thought it was the pps system at fault, so we then got a rack for an 87 without pps. Just got it installed today, and still nothing!! Everytime i bleed the system and filled it with dextron III. I then took a pump off another buddies car that is at my place too, a supposedly a good pump, i cant verify positively, but he said it worked when the car was parked. I bled the crap out of it this last time and still absolutely nothing. Fluid level was rising and falling around .5" or so. couldnt get any more air out. i then took the return line off the res and had someone start the car, imediatly blew fluid out, emptied the res. filled up and did it a couple times and it got to where it wasnt pumping anything out of the return line. unless you turned the wheel and then it wasnt much. Im at a loss. Has one new pump, one supposedly good pump and 2 reman racks, and i have never felt a difference after any of this. I can only assume the rack or the pumps are at fault but it just seems so unlikely. and advice or tips would be great.

ross79

May 1, 2015
vic
Interested to know if you resolved this? I am currently having the same problem with my MK3. I replaced steering rack, no difference. Replaced pump with a tested unit and still no good. Fully bled system, etc. Although my car is 1jz converted.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Remanded stuff theses days are just junk your spool valve might be the issue if its not the pump persure control valve. Biggest qestion is can you Labour the pump on full lock

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Do a pressure test. The shade tree way is to disconnect the pressure line at the rack and point it into a bucket. Have your buddy start it and you will find out quickly if you have a pumping problem or a rack problem.