Potential bhg?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
My motor appears to be losing coolant somehow, I fill the overflow and two days later it's bone dry again. I'm a tad confused as I don't have any issues normally related to a bhg like oil and water mixing, all cylinders were very close on a compression test as well. I haven't noticed any leaks or split hoses and the heater core is ok too. Could the head gasket still be going or should I be looking elsewhere for the problem?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
one thing I have noticed is that I don't lose coolant in the radiator just the overflow, is it possible I'm over worrying an it could be the rad cap or something small like that?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
could be but if it was the cap there would be coolant all over the rad and a puddle under your car. is your overflow bottle cracked? could be just a leak in the overflow bottle. but also check your exaust when the car is running, see if it smeels like antifreeze or not. also if your buring collant, your tailpipe will be cold to the touch even at operating temp. (use a infered themomator not your hand for this test)

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
bioskyline;1639571 said:
(use a infered themomator not your hand for this test)
lol I have to unpack mine first I've checked the tank and it's leak free and there's no smell to the exhaust other than, well, exhaust no puddles either though I noticed right after starting the car with the tank empty it starts pushing coolant into the overflow this leads me to either a bad cap or the exhaust pressurizing the cooling system I haven't had time to grab a tester yet for that but I'm gonna pressure test the system at the same time

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I may have ruled out a bhg, I noticed today after I might parked in the garage my floor board on the driver side is still wet, I thought that was due to a leak in the sunroof but it was inside and there wasn't any rain yesterday, is it possible for the heater core to leak to the driver side?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya its possible. If its all wet and smells like coolant then it would be your heater core or the seals on the pipes for the heater core. Either way the dash would need to come out.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Yes and most times it will from everything that i have read. Pressure test the cooling system and see if it loses pressure. If it does with no visible leaks, bypass the heater core temporarily and see if your problems go away.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Fracking lovely wintertime in New York with no heater, I've theorized about and electric alternative both to clean of the hoses a bit in the engine bay and to avoid issues like this, anyone have any ideas for a 12v heater core replacement?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Prolly not worth the trouble.

When its working it does a really good job and i often find it works too good.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Probably and more expensive than I'd like too, bypassed the heater core for now and put a catch bottle on the overflow's overflow line(if there's exhaust gas pressurizing the coolant it'll push it into that bottle and I'll know I have a bigger problem)

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Chaingun;1640000 said:
Probably and more expensive than I'd like too, bypassed the heater core for now and put a catch bottle on the overflow's overflow line(if there's exhaust gas pressurizing the coolant it'll push it into that bottle and I'll know I have a bigger problem)

what was your problem in the end?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Ended up being a blown head gasket in the end. I saw the coolant bubbling up between the head and exhaust gasket and stopped running it right then, still ended up having to get the head decked by 6 thousandths or so I think it was. Had the valves ground and did the new gasket, didn't go arp studs couldn't afford them at the time but I would go back and do it right if I had to