Posible short ??????????????

cleancarct

Jun 10, 2009
East Hartford CT
To anyone that might be of help.

I just finished reassembling my engine and droped it into the engine bay. Everything is wired up and ready. So i go to turn on the ignition switch just to see if i would get any lights and/or instrument cluster to power on and i got nothing. So i put a multimeter to the battery and its reading about 8 volts (with the ign. off). I disconect the battery and now it reads about 10.5 volts. so i know there must be some draw of voltage somewhere but there is nothing on. So i checked for continuity from the ground strap to the chassy and engine and its there. Also for continuity from the positive strap to the alternator and starter and its there. NOW i check for continuity from the positive strap to the chassy and engine AND ITS THERE ALSO. but the continuity tester stoped sounding off after about 3 seconds. So now i switched polls on the continuity tester and same thing for 3 seconds and the sound of the tester stops.
I am handy around cars and tools but i don"t know much about these obd 1 cars and their fusible links. any help would be greatly appreciated.
its a 1989 supra turbo with an automatic transmission. all origional (accept for arp head gasket and head studs)

Any suggestions would be of great value to me. Thank you

Matt.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That's just the noise filter caps charging up. The ECU and Alarm draw a little current with everything off, but its not much. If your battery is giving 10.5V open circuit, then it is basically dead. Charge it up or replace it if it cannot be charged.

cleancarct

Jun 10, 2009
East Hartford CT
Yep it was the battery. it needed a long deep 2 amp charge and now i can get all my lights. i'm going to try starting it tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to help out (3p). I really do appreciate it.