polyurethane bushing?

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
New York, New York, United States
Changed a flat today in 20 degree weather and noticed most of my bushings are shot. I don't have the money to get my shop to do it and were not allowed in the shop anymore at my job. I was looking at a energy front and rear set, but does it come with all the bushings I need? Also everybody's talking about pressing them in and out can I do it myself with a big C-clamp? :1zhelp:

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
I just pushed the bushings out of my rear suspension arms last weekend. I used our hydraulic press at work and it appeared to take quite a bit of force. I have not done the hub bushings yet but the instructions seem to indicate they used a bearing puller or similar tool so it may be possible to use the c-clamp. But as always haveing the right tool for the job makes life much easier.

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
New York, New York, United States
yeah the right tool for the job makes life alot easier but when you only have access to standard hand tool. Shop hates the fact I love my car the most at work they kinda got mad, I heard you can drill and chisel them out

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Yah there is a guide floating on here or supraforums about that. It has been done plenty of times i am sure. I think you burn them out and then hacksaw the sleeve and tap it out witha chisel. You can search for it and find it (I found it while doing my research). Good luck to you.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
You can rent a balljoint press at Autozone and then blow the center out. From there take the blade off the hacksaw, stick it through the middle of the outer sleve, re assemble the saw and cut it in 2 or 3 places. Then you can smash the pieces out with a chisel/punch and a hammer. Its a major PITA but it will work. Then you can use the balljoint press to install the new one.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Taking the old bushings out is the easy part of the job ,the hard part is to remove the fron lower control arms ,or any of the rear lower arms - expect almost all of the bolts to be solid frozen ,plasma cutter is the best way to cut them.

As far as removing the bushings ,the best tool available is the HF 38335 as seen here

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
C clamp isn't gonna do it for a lot of them. And no, the energy suspension kits don't include all of them as not all of them are normal bushings.