polished pistons?

streetracer_258

Powertrain Engineer
Sep 1, 2009
Nottingham
Firstly by polishing the surface of the piston to a mirror finish you will reduce the surface area of the piston top by remove all the tiny dimples left in the surface after casting. The effect of this is to improve the thermal efficiency of the combustion by reducing surface area(ever so slightly) this reduces the amount of heat transfered from the combustion chamber hence making your piston run cooler.

Secondly the polished surface will result in less carbon build up on the surface.

Thirdly the polished surface will reflect a small amount of heat back into the combustion chamber again improving thermal efficiency and lower piston temps.

Even with these three effects combined it would be completely un noticable in a DD. However would be worth doing in a racing engine.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Agreed although I'm not sure how much a highly polished piston would resist carbon buildup. Certainly not as much as a thermal coating would.

Good point about the transfer of height, this is one of my questions about the popularity of polished radiators and intercoolers. Shiny, metallic surfacess will transfer less heat than flat, dark surfaces (talking convection, not conduction) I guess it's just a finish preference and is neglible when you figure most are increasing the physical size anyway? (slight increase in surface area would outweigh the surface finish)
Brian

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
When we assembled this:

bling1.jpg
bling2.jpg

We did not polish the pistons.

It ran for one and a half race seasons at 1,400+ RWHP and set two world records in it's class.

You'd be better off investing your efforts into shot peening and then beam polishing the rods.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Probably has little carbon buildup because that sucker is blowing the pieces loose if not scarring them away :)

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
I'm actually in the process of deburring the valve cutouts/edges on my NPR pistons with 600 grit sandpaper and I came on to see if it's worth it to continue lol.

I'm using 600grit and it's just enough to notice a difference when running your fingers over the tops of the pistons.

What do you guys think?

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
streetracer_258;1507994 said:
Firstly by polishing the surface of the piston to a mirror finish you will reduce the surface area of the piston top by remove all the tiny dimples left in the surface after casting. The effect of this is to improve the thermal efficiency of the combustion by reducing surface area(ever so slightly) this reduces the amount of heat transfered from the combustion chamber hence making your piston run cooler.

Secondly the polished surface will result in less carbon build up on the surface.

Thirdly the polished surface will reflect a small amount of heat back into the combustion chamber again improving thermal efficiency and lower piston temps.

Even with these three effects combined it would be completely un noticable in a DD. However would be worth doing in a racing engine.

i completely agree, this is done on most engines we (Nolden Motors) build.
-shane

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
On my son's kart engine, I would put on a layer of artificial carbon.
Rules forbid coatings, but they did not say anything about carbon.

Did it for 2 reasons:
First, it help insulate the piston, which is critical on a 2-stroke.
Second, if I did the bake time correctly, it would burn off durring the event, and increase head volume.
We were always teched after an event if we won, and had a minimum chamber cc that we had to meet.
So the end result was we had a higher compression ratio at the start of an event, and were legal by the time the event was over.
Helped qualifying a bunch !

Totally irrelevent, but fun to show what it takes to be competitive, and not get busted for cheating.

More to the point, I have known a lot of old school oval track guys that in the days before ceramic coatings, would spray piston domes with high heat header paint.
And if they were freshening up an engine, they would not decarbonize the domes, just to keep the insulating effects.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I do the valves also.
Just the tops on the intake, and tops & undersides on the exhaust.
I would like to do the ID of the exhaust ports, but as yet have not figured how to get a good abrasive blast finish on them.
Does anyone make a miniature blast gun with a 90 degree head on it ?
It sure would take a lot of heat out of the head........

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It's harder for heavy carbon to stick to a well polished surface. I've taken engines apart with polished vs unpolished combustion chambers and pistons and in the polished engines the deposits are always thinner and usually flake off very easily (usually just by rubbing with my fingertip). I'd also say that preventing carbon buildup is more important on a street car than on a race car. Most of the carbon accumulation is from extended low load driving, race engines don't see a whole lot of that.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
polishing gains nothing.

Coating at least attempts to maintain the heat in the gas instead of letting it easily transfer to the aluminum pistons. So a gain of thermal efficency. How much? No objective numbers measured.