Part identification help, please?

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
This is going to be one of those questions where I should kick myself for not figuring it out, but lieu of that.....

Can someone tell me what goes in this spot in my engine bay?:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I've got harnesses leading to it, holes for bolts, but nothing there. When I had the car serviced at Toyota recently, no one could figure out what went there.

Thanks in advance!

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Not sure what it is but according to this it's pretty expensive...

Ninja edit: He beat me to it while I was out snaggin' a pic...

I've got one in my NA...

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Setheroo;919023 said:
Ta da!

It is the resistor pack for your injectors. That is what goes there on an NA.

Excellent...so next stupid question, what does the resistor pack do? Would the lack of it be hurting my car's performance? I have a separate post going about my car being incredibly sluggish.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Chaotic Neutral;919043 said:
Excellent...so next stupid question, what does the resistor pack do? Would the lack of it be hurting my car's performance? I have a separate post going about my car being incredibly sluggish.

Well, if you think about it..

The resistor is needed for the 87-89 cars, due to the different impedance injectors... the older injectors have a low impedance whereas the newer style injectors are a higher impedance.

So without the resistor pack in place, you can bet that your injectors are getting a higher voltage than what they can handle. So with that in mind, you may be burning up your injectors.. But I should really let an electronics wizard chime in here - I may be ASE certified in electronics but all that takes to acquire is knowing voltage drop. lol.

Lets just hope that you don't have the resistor pack due to the fact that someone has swapped in newer style injectors.

Old injectors: Yellow connectors
New injectors: Black connectors

It will be worth it for you to look.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
jetjock;919747 said:
^ Technically it's more a matter of limiting current than voltage but that's splitting hairs. Everything else is dead on. Nicely done :)

I can totally agree with that. I was only trying to lead the man in the right direction. Thanks for the props.

On another note, Chaotic - Have you checked your injector style?

It took me a while to remember what each style was, but when they changed impedances it was due to the change of injector style... one being a peak and hold injector whereas the other style is a saturated injector.

I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure that the newest style is the saturated, and the older style is the peak and hold.