Overheating, weird though I have to say...

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
Ok, its been a while now since I've done the swap and driving it for a while, and I stumbled on a very weird problem. My car over heats, the weird/crazy part is that it does it in the morning til I'd say 2p.m when it starts to cool down, the temp stays on normal, Now at night doesn't really matter because its fairly chilly outside so it won't over heat. Hmmm.... I say could it be the electric fan I put in, crapping out on me? I don't really know, so I'm stomped. Is anyone having or had a problem like this on there 2jz swap? Btw if you guys aren't familiar with South Carolina it's FREAKING HUMID here when the sun's out. so that's why I say in the morning til the afternoon where it starts to cool down, since it being spring... I can't imagine how it will be when its actually SUMMER. So yea, any idea guys of what it could be? Thanks

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
Bigzavs;1545181 said:
e-fans are crap on JZ's, thats your problem

either run a hyrdofan or a 2J mechanical fan.

Wow are you serious? I use to have a 1jz that did just fine never over heated though. But you must be right since now I have a 2jz. Thanks man. I'll look around for a clutch fan.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
I dont know of any local cars 1JZ or 2JZ that run E-Fans for that exact reason, they do alright while moving, but if they have to idle for extended amounts of time they start to overheat.

i run a mechanical fan with a koyo and i rarely see anything over 1/3rd of the way up the gauge

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Bigzavs;1545199 said:
I dont know of any local cars 1JZ or 2JZ that run E-Fans for that exact reason, they do alright while moving, but if they have to idle for extended amounts of time they start to overheat.

i run a mechanical fan with a koyo and i rarely see anything over 1/3rd of the way up the gauge

This...Mechanical fan here. Had a friend with a 2jzgte single swapped with Electro fans and the car would over heat with to much idle time.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
How is a clutch fan driven at a rate directly related to rpms going to out perform an electric fan at idle?

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
i dont know the actual science behind it. i just know the facts, and that is e-fans+JZ+idling=overheating.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
my point is that a properly sized electric fan with the correct setup would work better then a clutch fan at idle. I'm betting most cheap out and get the dinky ebay fans or something similar. A decent OEM fan would do much better.. (like one off a viper or lincon mkVII ) If you took the stock fan blade and stuck it on an elctric motor what will move more air? the clutch turning maybe 1000rpms(water pump pulley is smaller then crank, looks like its a bit overdriven ) or the electic one thats turning 2000+ rpms?
OP what e fan?

Last edited:

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
grimreaper;1545256 said:
my point is that a properly sized electric fan with the correct setup would work better then a clutch fan at idle. I'm betting most cheap out and get the dinky ebay fans or something similar. A decent OEM fan would do much better.. (like one off a viper or lincon mkVII ) If you took the stock fan blade and stuck it on an elctric motor what will move more air? the clutch turning maybe 1000rpms(water pump pulley is smaller then crank, looks like its a bit overdriven ) or the electic one thats turning 2000+ rpms?
OP what e fan?

They're called electric fans, not magic fans. They draw current from the electrical system, which im assuming the OP did not upgrade. Running e-fans on an underpowered electrical system at idle is like trying to use a screwgun with a dying battery, it spins but the torque just isn't there. With less torque output on the motors the resistance of the air you are trying to move slows the fan. If the fan spins slower then you move less air, regardless of the quality of your fan or cfm rating.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Its probably the electric fans, though I never had an issue with my fans till I was on the highway with them a/c full blast and it was 95* outside (A/C on 74* and wouldn't overheat, because compressor shut off every once in a while). Would idle all day with the a/c on and never overheat. Only the highway, and thats probably because I angled my FMIC like the stock one so air would deflect down and not go through to the radiator at speed. If I had the belly pan it would of been ok, but I didn't.

This was FAL 220 fans and a stock radiator.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
grimreaper;1545256 said:
my point is that a properly sized electric fan with the correct setup would work better then a clutch fan at idle.

lewis15498;1545280 said:
They're called electric fans, not magic fans. They draw current from the electrical system, which im assuming the OP did not upgrade. Running e-fans on an underpowered electrical system at idle is like trying to use a screwgun with a dying battery, it spins but the torque just isn't there. With less torque output on the motors the resistance of the air you are trying to move slows the fan. If the fan spins slower then you move less air, regardless of the quality of your fan or cfm rating.

Good point, but the CORRECT setup wont have this issue. You cant just throw an e fan on the stock mk3 and expect superior results. Wirng, relays, contorl, power supply all have to be accounted for and upgraded where needed. Thats the problem, most ive seen dont bother with the rest of the system. I still stand behind my point, a proper setup will cool better at idle. How many actually spend the money to go through this though? Not many that i've seen.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

tissimo;1545363 said:
Its probably the electric fans, though I never had an issue with my fans till I was on the highway with them a/c full blast and it was 95* outside (A/C on 74* and wouldn't overheat, because compressor shut off every once in a while). Would idle all day with the a/c on and never overheat. Only the highway, and thats probably because I angled my FMIC like the stock one so air would deflect down and not go through to the radiator at speed. If I had the belly pan it would of been ok, but I didn't.

This was FAL 220 fans and a stock radiator.

Ive had similar outcomes when it gets over 100* with the clutch fan with out the belly pan. Have you had to upgrade anything else like wiring, or the alt on your setup? Do the fals have a radiator probe or how are they activated?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I just did a 1jz swap. I went through the whole motor cleaned everything new gaskets water pump thermostat, 3" Rad with an E-fAn I can let that car idle for over 20 minutes and rev it, never rises, this is weird! The Rad does not even get way way to hot either, gotta love it =)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
grimreaper;1545385 said:
Ive had similar outcomes when it gets over 100* with the clutch fan with out the belly pan. Have you had to upgrade anything else like wiring, or the alt on your setup? Do the fals have a radiator probe or how are they activated?

I actually used the factory twin fan (91) wiring & relays for the FAL fans, and used AEM EMS to activate them. Used the factory temp gauge for temperature readings for activating/deactivating. Stock alternator.

If I didn't have the AEM EMS, I would use the spal fan controller.

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
I am running electric fans on my 2jz car with no problems even with a bigger turbo. I also ran electric fans on my 1jz car also with no problems which also drove around florida for a whole year with electric fans on the highway and city and temps stayed stable. Make sure the area between your fans and radiator doesn't have any space, otherwise you will be reducing the fans efficiency.

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
1jzMoe;1545710 said:
I am running electric fans on my 2jz car with no problems even with a bigger turbo. I also ran electric fans on my 1jz car also with no problems which also drove around florida for a whole year with electric fans on the highway and city and temps stayed stable. Make sure the area between your fans and radiator doesn't have any space, otherwise you will be reducing the fans efficiency.

OK, cool. That's what I thought because I ran a e-fan off of a celica 89 Al-trac on my 1J and it never overheated on me. I was guessing it could be the space like you said between the rad and e-fan. So I'll check that out. Thanks for the input.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

grimreaper;1545256 said:
OP what e fan?

And yea I think your right, because as I replied on 1jz Moe, that I used an e-fan from a celica al-trac, which I'm guess pulled more air out since it being OEM. So I guess I'm going out to find another celica al-trac again, that or finding a clutch fan.