ORC Clutch (409D??)

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
So as I draw nearer to my first startup on my first swap there are a few major things looming over my head. Up currently is my clutch, a lovely ORC (I believe it's a 409D, single plate) that I received with my R154. I have a throwout, and the tranny is converted to push-type already, I'm just not sure about a few things. If anyone had ANY info about or experience with ORCs, or can connect me with anyone that does, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure about the flywheel, as it came with a lightweight chromoly instead of stock. I saw murmurs on a JZX forum relating to a need to shorten the stock flywheel bolts in order to fit properly upon install, as well as using a higher torque rating. I have ARP bolts, and am considering having them machined down about 3mm to fit, with loctite of course. I am going to run the clutch as is, and if I like it I'll consider a rebuild.

Also if anyone knows what kind of slave to use with this conversion? Again I've heard Nissan 240sx stock slave but any accurate information from the well-educated people of Supramania would be most beneficial.

As always, thanks for reading.

1JZ-GTE 86.5 Stock Twins

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

dirosa

Apr 9, 2011
Toronto
i'm running a os giken twin plate that is similar to the orc.

i did shorten the 2j flywheel bolts because the flywheel is ligthened and therefore thinner. i think i remember reading you can use the 4ag bolts that are thinner, but i just used a hack saw and called it a day.

if you have all the parts of the pull-to-push converter, you should be fine. the slave cylinder rod is a little longer than stock, but my kit came with one. if yours doesn't have one, you can use a 12mm bolt with two nuts on the end (what i'm using currently since mine original rod broke in half while i was on the highway!). the stock slave cylinder is used in my case, pretty sure it's the same for orc. post a pic of yours.

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here's a pic of the clutch, I'll get a pic of the slave when I'm out tonight working on it, try to have it posted this evening unless I get too drunk and forget....

p1782291_1.jpg

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

dirosa

Apr 9, 2011
Toronto
yeah, my clutch is pretty much the same design.

that slave cylinder is the 240 one i guess eh? kinda looks like the stock w58 slave (what i had on my old NA). i guess what you really need to see is how the slave is going to work with the pull-to-push converter. the w58 slave has two holes that allow it to be bolted to the bell housing and press on the clutch fork that actually sticks outside of the bell housing. as you know, the r154's fork is all inside, so totally not compatible.

i personally can't see how the 240 slave will work, since it it can't even bolt up to the bell housing.

post a pic of the pull-to-push converter, i think you'll be fine with the stock slave. you probably have a similar converter to me since our clutches look almost identical. i'll find a pic of my converter and attach shortly.

Image1.jpg

Last edited:

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey D! Fuck yes, thanks for getting back to me!!! I did mock it up and everything seems to be in order, the piece that it's mounted on fits perfectly on the tranny, I was messing around and testing the action between it and the fork and everything; should work like butter. Any idea on what size bolts I should use to mount this slave to my tranny? I am not sure if the hardware came with as most of the items were strapped to the f'ing pallet :/

I just moved my car to a new location (god bless whoever invented the heated garage) so it may take me a day or two to sort through all of my parts bags to find the tranny bolts and such. But as you may have seen from my other thread it's a chaser motor, so I had to send my stock tranny back and get a replacement without the extended shifter housing. I think in the down time I have until I mount the tranny I'm gonna take the slave into a parts store and see if I can match it up to any Nissan slave or W58 like you said, or any other Toyo slave. Any other recommendations for stock slaves to try comparing to?

Also sorry for being so lengthy... Little fucked up. Blame any in-continuity on that....

If you get a chance please breeze by my other thread on the 1J/2J Swap section and see if you can answer any of my open questions!!!!!

As always, thanks for reading!!!!!!!!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

dirosa

Apr 9, 2011
Toronto
just looking at a pic of a standard r154 and your slave cylinder+bracket, i have no idea how that is going to bolt up. maybe the soarer r154's have a slightly different casting, and have some extra tapped holes for it.........either that, or i'm totally lost.

i would gamble with 12mm x 1.25 for the bolt size, but i don't know for sure. i'd love to see a pic of it mocked up when you're done.

the w58 slave won't bolt up to the r154, so a custom bracket i think is the only way.

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks for the info man!!

Honestly I don't know what the tranny is off of.... Looks rebuilt by some jap. They sent me a chaser motor w the extended shifter and I had to send it back for a swap. I guess "JZA70 Supra motor" doesn't mean shit. Didn't even have a shifter socket bushing in it : / so might have gotten some bonus aluminum there.... Yay.

I'll get more pics next time I'm out. I should be prepared to get down and dirty; last excursion I ended up transporting parts and moving everything around and didn't have proper tools to really do anything :(

Finally got my buddy's stealth in though! That thing has been on stands for 2+ yrs so that was a pretty sight!

As always, thanks for reading!!!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
So bracket and slave mounting isn't going to be a problem, most this is sorted... I still don't know what kind of slave to replace it with nor what to do about the flywheel though.

Yes, I could probably run the existing slave but I would prefer to run new. Also, how will I know if I need to turn down my flywheel bolts? Will it sit goofy when I try to mount the flywheel? Will the bolts not clamp? I find it hard to believe that. Not a soul on here has experience with ORC! :(

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Directly via e-mail... No response.... I even tried what I thought to be their "US Distributor." Nada. Will try to find a phone number and see if that gets me anywhere.

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone