Open Differential Lubricants

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
After a search I haven't been able to locate exact information on the subject but please if there is delete this thread and direct me to the source of information.

I need a differential oil recommendation for a 4 pinion non LSD. The tsrm lists an SAE 90 oil, from the Castrol product line up the CASTROL EPX M90 seems perfect.

Would anyone seem to think this was a bad idea and know of a more suited product, please explain.

Rob

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Rob: As posted in my thread wetNslippery will do, you're overthinking it really!

The only time specific lube is a must is in clutch pack LSD's and even then it's more to modify the Diff's behaviour.

Ford do this with their Gearbox additive as too slippery an oil affects how the syncro's work and cause balky shifts.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Open differentials are not very picky like Ian said. A 75W-90, 80W-90 or straight 90W like the Castrol you mentioned will do fine. Even if they do contain friction modifiers it doesn't really matter since there are no syncro's like you have in a manual tranny.

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
Yep Ian your right, I just read over all of jdub's oil and lube threads and the more you learn the less you really know as a consumer.

Thanks guys I'll head over to autocrap and pick up some oil.

Rob