On a budget -7M rebuild or 1jz swap?

btc2112

ninja
Apr 4, 2008
san diego
bountykilla0118;1131789 said:
mybad doward ...... i would think that an upgraded intake and exhaust would be the first things people look into, but you never know

haha, good looking out. yes a turbo-back exhaust is near the top of my list of goodies.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I didn't bother to check the 2nd page, but I'll reiterate if it's already been mentioned.
(Plus, Might as well add more information to the "Searched Threads").

Find a reputable shop to build your 7M - CORRECTLY.
At 400rwhp, Built correctly.......that aint no sweat for a 7M.

Orrrr....Go buy a 1JZ from overseas that Yoshi-Bao Sano Wang Chung abused to shit in his JZA70;
Now fallen into your hands with unknown problems.

I can't be hypocritcal, though. I LOVE 1JZ's. Rev happy sums'a'bitches. ;)

But you know, I can't tell you how much I already miss the torquey 7M.

It really does just boil down to what you want in the long run.

Both powerplants have their Pro's & Con's. We know that.

From a cost perspective.........If I had to do it again.

WITHOUT A DOUBT, Fully built a 7M. (I had a brand new 7M prior, but thought I fubared something during break-in and just didn't have the heart in me to build another 7M again).
Like Barrack Obama said........It's time for a change. :biglaugh:

Cliff Notes:
Just build your damned 7M. ;)

Jeff

btc2112

ninja
Apr 4, 2008
san diego
Boost Lee;1131811 said:
I didn't bother to check the 2nd page, but I'll reiterate if it's already been mentioned.
(Plus, Might as well add more information to the "Searched Threads").

Find a reputable shop to build your 7M - CORRECTLY.
At 400rwhp, Built correctly.......that aint no sweat for a 7M.

Orrrr....Go buy a 1JZ from overseas that Yoshi-Bao Sano Wang Chung abused to shit in his JZA70;
Now fallen into your hands with unknown problems.

I can't be hypocritcal, though. I LOVE 1JZ's. Rev happy sums'a'bitches. ;)

But you know, I can't tell you how much I already miss the torquey 7M.

It really does just boil down to what you want in the long run.

Both powerplants have their Pro's & Con's. We know that.

From a cost perspective.........If I had to do it again.

WITHOUT A DOUBT, Fully built a 7M. (I had a brand new 7M prior, but thought I fubared something during break-in and just didn't have the heart in me to build another 7M again).
Like Barrack Obama said........It's time for a change. :biglaugh:

Cliff Notes:
Just build your damned 7M. ;)

Jeff

exactly. well said jeff. im pretty much looking at it like this now; if money was no object, would i be swapping a 1jz? no, if money was no object i'm going 2jz or maybe 1.5 :love:
so until im at the point where i can afford to do that, might as well have some fun with my 7M. its definitely going to help me learn, has already.

ok kind of a newb question but im just wondering although i've decided to stay with my 7M i would like to continue this as a rebuild/performance upgrade thread to share. can i keep it here or do i have to start it elsewhere?

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Well.....If you sold yourself on building the 7M....

*eh-hem*.

BEGIN YOUR BUILD THREAD! :)

First post - Just write out a few things like:

-What you've currently got to work with
-What your plans are (a list of "soon to be's)
-Pictures, as always

And most importantly, keep it up to date with new parts/pictures, new ideas, etc.

(There is a forum to post your build threads, By the way).

Jeff

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep the power steering (unless you want to look like popeye), and the A/C compressor's pulley freely spins when the A/C isn't on, so it's not going to suck any power at all...

btc2112

ninja
Apr 4, 2008
san diego
Poodles;1132087 said:
Keep the power steering (unless you want to look like popeye), and the A/C compressor's pulley freely spins when the A/C isn't on, so it's not going to suck any power at all...

ahh ok, i was under the impression that the a/c was a power robber so thank you for clarifying that. i think i'll keep it. i've gone ahead and started a new build thread here:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80179

i am hoping to get the head off tomorrow and the block out in the next week or so and then its off to the machine shop. wish me luck.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
btc2112;1131437 said:
just wish i could take the gf's laptop down to the alley with me. Don't think she'd appreciate grease on her monitor...

WHAT!!!! your doing this in a alley:aigo:.
This is why I have 3 laptops ;)

Also keep A/C and PS. I have had both out of my first 87 and let me tell you, turning is a bitch w/o PS, the 65 mustang has a larger diameter steering wheel so it would be easier to turn. You want to run with no A/C, now that is just foolish if you ask me. Like poodles said it dose not take any HP away when it is off. When on you are nice a cool and not racing. When it is 95 degrees out side and your black car has been in the sun all day, rolling the windows down wont help much.

btc2112

ninja
Apr 4, 2008
san diego
92nsx;1132243 said:
WHAT!!!! your doing this in a alley:aigo:.
This is why I have 3 laptops ;)

Also keep A/C and PS. I have had both out of my first 87 and let me tell you, turning is a bitch w/o PS, the 65 mustang has a larger diameter steering wheel so it would be easier to turn. You want to run with no A/C, now that is just foolish if you ask me. Like poodles said it dose not take any HP away when it is off. When on you are nice a cool and not racing. When it is 95 degrees out side and your black car has been in the sun all day, rolling the windows down wont help much.

yup, no garage anymore :wtc: so i've been out behind my apartment for the last couple of days. actually it hasn't been half bad as the neighborhood i live in pacific beach, is a relatively young area and i have already had a couple of guys who are fellow supra lovers, wander over to check out the car and ask me if i want some help. so i may be getting some quality assistance out of it. plus my downstairs neighbor is cool as hell and has been passing me beers out of his kitchen window which looks out onto the alley. so it hasn't been all bad...i mean free beer? cant beat that!

nsx you make a good point about the steering wheel size of my mustang, even after going aftermarket it was still the size of a school bus wheel and definitely made turning easier. with the small size of the supras steering wheel i'll end up like looking like popeye before too long. and i'm def keeping my a/c, i hadn't ever used it so i was starting to think i wouldn't need it. i have a targa top and live less than a mile from the beach so i never needed it but with the car built and running like she should i will be driving her a whole lot more and i've realized that a/c is definitely something to have available, even if i don't use it much.

well, im off to see if i cant get the intake manifold off and get down to the head. have a champions league game(man utd vs villareal) to watch in a couple hours so i'll be taking a 3 hour break today. but afterward i'll be right back at it. i should be posting some pics on my build thread, http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80179, please come check it out and let me know what you think.
cheers
glory glory man utd!!!

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I don't mean to "jack" this thread, and I'm sorry if it seems like I did, but I have a very similar question.

My engine was rebuilt by the previous owner (I don't know if he/she did it him/herself or got it done professionally), I also don't know if it has an OEM HG or MHG. If my engine takes a crap on me, should I rebuild my 7M-GE or go with a 1JZ? I wanted to go turbo anyways, and with the low-end torque problem of the 1JZ I can source a 2JZ-GE block for about $50-100 (might need rebuild), and then swap the rods/pistons from the 1J to the 2J block (if that is possible- I don't know much about the JZ engines). Sorry this is so long, I've put a lot of thought into this.

Thanks for the input

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
How about a 2jzge-T? I have a JDM 2jzge in fairly nice shape at the shop, I'd sell it for $650 plus shipping. You can wire it up to a 7m-gte harness and ecu. That's about the least expensive way to go JZ in a mk3. We have 2jz-gte headgaskets in Eristic brand now for only $55, to lower the compression. And we have the $1500 turbo kit that can be made up for a 2jz-ge no problem.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^That's certainly one hell of a way to make some good, streetable and reliable power and still get the advantages of a JZ motor without the deep pockets.

+1.

Jeff

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
That's definitely something I'll have to keep in mind. My main concern with that idea is the shipping from CA to IL. Right now my 7M is running pretty well, like I said I'd probably swap if my HG takes a shit on me. Thanks very much

In the mean time, is there any way that I can check to see what type of HG I have w/o actually taking apart the engine? I have no knowledge on how to do that nor do I have the proper tools.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
the way I see it, Only go 1jz if you are N/a . If all you have is a bhg on a 7mgte, put that money into rebuilding/upgrades and youll be better than a stock 1jz.

As for me im doing n/a-->1jz So my cost is justified =P

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
In my experience and from talking to literally thousands of people about it, most people usually end up doing the 7m build 2 or 3 times before they get it right (not excluding myself). Most people who do a JZ swap end up with a fun and reliable swap the first time around. Of course any engine can have issues, and they all need routine and preventative maintenance, and I did say "most people", your experience may vary. But even if you have to spend more in the beginning with the JZ, you will usually end up spending less money in the end in total with the JZ, and spend a lot more time driving the car rather then constantly having to work on it.

IMHO, 7M builds are better for people who view it as their hobby, people who can spend whatever money and time it takes to do it right. You need to have a love for that model engine and view it as a fun challenge.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
bigaaron;1134812 said:
In my experience and from talking to literally thousands of people about it, most people usually end up doing the 7m build 2 or 3 times before they get it right

yeah ive noticed this too =/

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Looks like I'll be saving up for a JZ swap then. I don't really have anything against the 7M, I just want an engine that would be more reliable and not always have that "I really hope I don't get BHG" on my mind constantly. My MKIII is my dd, btw