Old school 5-nob apex s-afc question

208mkIII

Anyone know anyting about how good the old school 5 nob apex s-afc is on mkiii? hit me back up if ya know Cool,Cool!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
It's as good as any device that only gives you that few adjustment points over the entire RPM band.

Compared to a SAFC-II, it's primitive. Compared to modern devices (MAP-ECU or MAFTPRO) it's a joke.

These old units work well, but have limited tuning ability.

208mkIII

Supracentral said:
It's as good as any device that only gives you that few adjustment points over the entire RPM band.

Compared to a SAFC-II, it's primitive. Compared to modern devices (MAP-ECU or MAFTPRO) it's a joke.

These old units work well, but have limited tuning ability.

Thanks, is it worth using?

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
I use one. Its gotta range of + or - 30% in each of the 5 rpms points. It interpolates the points between the 5 specified rpm points.

I only have it since it was the only thing avaiable when I built the car 6 years ago.

208mkIII

aljordan said:
I use one. Its gotta range of + or - 30% in each of the 5 rpms points. It interpolates the points between the 5 specified rpm points.

I only have it since it was the only thing avaiable when I built the car 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info, currently using it still? If so, how well does it work on your car?

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
I still use it. I really don't take out much fuel, its more of a fine tuning device.

I did plan to go with the new afc with the user specified points of adjustment and the +-50%. There is more adjustment in the newer ones.

FWIW.. I'd ditch this and go AEM if I had the cash.

208mkIII

aljordan said:
I still use it. I really don't take out much fuel, its more of a fine tuning device.

I did plan to go with the new afc with the user specified points of adjustment and the +-50%. There is more adjustment in the newer ones.

FWIW.. I'd ditch this and go AEM if I had the cash.

Basically it does what it says no more no less good for mild built cars only I guess. I'm now considering the greddy ultimate e-manage for the cost, but the AEM standalone is best, however my car is a moderatley built car so you know? Thanks to all for the info keep on boostin'

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
Bottomline.. it depends on what you want out of it.

I'm sure there are some stock turbo guys running around on an AEM. Then again.. there are people like me who run a "big" turbo on a real header who are using the hackjob piggy-back stuff.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
personally i do the bulk of my tuning w/ an afpr. raise base fuel pressure to make it richer, lower to make it leaner. it doesnt effect afm scaling, timing, etc. and can make a huge difference.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Mine works great. The tuner was able to make a perfect a/f ratio across the board with it with just the 5 adjustment points. No need for a fancy SAFC2.