Oil running past my turbo seals? Too thin?

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
I tried reading as much as I could from the Motor Oil and Lubricants section, but all this information is still new to me. So here's my story and question.

I have a brand spanking new 1JZ motor inside and out. I was re-adjusting the intercooler piping coming off my turbo so I had to disconnect the couplers to make my adjustments. When the piping came apart I looked inside and there was oil, not much, but a decent amount that I don't think should be there coming off the compressor and in the intercooler tubing. I told my mechanic that the turbo seals were bad on that turbo and he just said that the oil was too thin and running past the seals.

My mechanic put non-synthetic generic Autozone 10W-30 oil in there and that we should put like a 15W or 20W - 40/50 oil in there and it should be fine.

Car has only been running for 20 miles? Very new motor, any ideas guys? Also, the machinist said he put some nice tighter tolerances on my crank bearings, how does this affect my choice of oil? I am very concerned, any input would be helpful. Thanks.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Agree 100%...the rings need time to seat. Plus, with tight tolerances on the bearings an oil that will flow is much better for them...i.e. a 0W, 5W, or 10W-30. Change your oil at 100 miles or so to the same dino oil. Don't change over to a synthetic until the 1500 mile point.

Spaniard said:
It is true, I ran a Porsche 944 for nearly and hour on this stuff without oil at idle. And yes I have the video of this feat, but it's all the way up in IL where my family lives, I'll have to pick it up sometime so Bitron can use it. Its sick, I was so scared for this motor, seriously.

You could always put Bi-Tron in the oil...that should fix any problem you have ;)

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
I love how you found my statement on Bitron jdub. I have some oil analysis results for you on it to back me up! haha. Or do i? I still stant by what I said, but we will save that convo for another thread. Thanks for the help guys.