Oil Pressure Sending Unit out...Q's on replacement?

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Hey all,

I have a question concerning the oil pressure sending unit on my 7M-GTE. I searched the above and came up with some info but not enough I feel for my particular question.

Basically, I feel that the sender has gone out on my car. The stock gauge is all over the place....sometimes it'll sit on 40 at odd times, others it'll be dropped at 0 when cruising down the highway. I inspected the unit today; I noticed it was right near the filter, the wiring looked OK, so I figure the unit just failed.

My question concerns what others have done about it. What aftermarket gauges have you switched to? Did you re-use the factory location on the block? What is needed to adapt an aftermarket sending unit? Etc etc. Also, how big of a job is it? I notice from my TSRM that you'd have to remove quite a lot to really get to it.

Any and all tips/pics/etc you could give me would be greatly appreciated :1zhelp:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
if you remove the intake hose, and filter, you can get at it pretty easily if you're nimble. i can't remember how i did mine. i might have gone from underneath.

Bill UK

90 Supra Turbo 14 psi
Aug 11, 2006
UK
There’s only one wire connecting to the top of the sender unit, may be worth checking. The sender unit screws into the bock, not sure of the size though.
p917057_1.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ It does. For idle control. You may or may not notice a change without it though. The usual symptom is an occasional lower idle by 50 rpm or so. Depends on what you do with the input.

Bill: It's 1/8 BPT. From your side of the pond.

OP: Sounds like a bad connection. You may want to check the wiring first. The service manual has the procedure. Or just ground the sender wire and see if the gage goes to max. Don't leave it grounded too long though...

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll make sure to check that wiring again. Are there any others out there who have replaced theirs? And if so, could you detail the process you undertook? Thanks again

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
as Jetjock stated, 1/8 BSPT (Tapered). Easily found everywhere in the world execpt in USA. Very hard to find here :)

With that said. to replace. need another toyota one as that oil pressure sensor is a digital one (ie pulse not analog 0v-5v as it is typical). This means unless you are standalone, run the OEM oil pressure sensor in there.