Oil pressure issues when motor is warm only.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey everyone, having a bit of an issue with oil pressure on my swapped 2jz setup.

When the motor is cold my oil pressure is great, sitting just below the "4" on the stock guage.

The problem is that as the motor warms up my pressure drop completely off to nearly nothing even during revving. I'm lucky to get a reading of half way to the bar below the "2".

I am running an earl's sandwich plate which has a built in thermo that then feeds a front mounted oil cooler. However last night I removed the plate entirely and mounted the filter directly to the block (just to eliminate the earl's plate being faulty).

The oil pump was changed for a new unit when the motor was out of the car less then 300KM ago. It was a genuine Toyota part. I changed it out to avoid having to worry about this exact situation. Peace of mind I thought to myself, LOL.

I noticed my oil pressure issues when a knock sensor started showing in one of my log files. I also just recently changed the oil to 0w30 castrol german stuff.

Any suggestions of any kind much appreciated.

Thanks,

Flatty.

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
You might need a new oil sending unit..If you didn't have oil pressure during revving you would know it...

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I also am leaning toward bad bearings, unfortunately, yes a used motor, well, fix it right now, or fix it correctly later I suppose.

Any way of knowing my bearing need before I get the block outa the car so I can order some and get em on their way?

Live and learn I suppose.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Either get your self
1. oil pressure tester gauge
2. stethoscope
3. long screw driver
4. maybe a long piece of hose

and listen for knock or verify that indeed it is not the gauge and your oil pressure is low.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Mine does this as well. I think it is the gauge or sender unit. Every once in a while the pressure will seem normal out of the blue, but most of the time it works when cold, but falls flat when hot.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tekdeus;1554301 said:
Mine does this as well. I think it is the gauge or sender unit. Every once in a while the pressure will seem normal out of the blue, but most of the time it works when cold, but falls flat when hot.

Ok, this is encouraging, thanks dude. Looking forward to meeting you down in Vancouver, hopfully with my car.

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Gord have you hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge yet? I think that's the very first thing you need to do.

My stock gauge says 35 cold start and 1 hot idle, I hooked up a mechanical gauge to check and I'm actually getting 70psi cold start and 10-15 hot idle.

I know I'm 7M but still mechanical gauges don't lie.