Oil Filter difference

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
p1335986_1.jpg

90915-YZZD1

p1335986_2.jpg

90915-YZZG1

I used to install the 90915-YZZD1. The only problem with that one is engine noise. I went to poway toyota and told them about the problem and they gave me 90915-YZZG1 then engine ran more quiet and smoother than ever.

They told me there are more alternate toyota part numbers for our supras depending on maintenance purposes. The only reason why the other dealer gave me the D1 is because its the one that was commonly used.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Might want to read this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

Does either/both filters say "Made in Thailand" on the sides?

Did the parts guy explain to you the differences in the filters, or did he just bat out BS you would believe? ;)
Reason I ask is, I have a very hard time understanding how a filter could increase/decrease engine noise...please, by all means, educate me.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Wix never made Toyota filters...they were a while back Denso Japan. Those were good filters. The ones made in Thailand are a significant drop in quality...I won't use them, except for may be the 1st filter on a engine break-in. The one I throw away after 100 miles ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I'd like to see any documentation on that Justin. Denso Japan was the primary filter manufacturer for as long as I can remember, until they switched to the Thailand version.