Oil changing adventures

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
First off, if this thread would be better to put in general, feel free to move it.

Changed the oil on both the 1j and the 6m this weekend. Picked up an Amsoil filter for both (EA15K51 for the 1j, EAO96 for the 6m), after reading a whole ton of threads in this section... Anyway, came across something odd when draining the 1j... pictures below:

p1757712_1.jpg

Stripped bolt... never a good sign. Was really hoping that my pan wasn't screwed at this point. Ran to Checker, got a replacement bolt, then discovered this:

p1757712_2.jpg

WTF was going on here??? Only thing I could think of is that it looked a little too precise to be broken... then it hit me, that maybe this was designed this way so that the oil drains out of that little groove without leaving too much old oil in the pan. That gap was at the lowest point of where the drain was, so that's the best explanation I have. Anyone ever seen this on a motor before?

Now, in the case of the 6m, I hadn't changed the oil in quite a while, but in my defense, I think the thing might have seen 400 miles in the last 2 years. Maybe. That, and it's bone dry here, so I wasn't worried about condensation getting in the oil. Car gets started every 2-3 weeks just to keep the thing oiled up... anyway, noticed right away, something odd about the new filter:

p1757712_3.jpg

p1757712_4.jpg

This thing is huge! Same threads and mounting surface though, just a lot beefier than the standard size filters I'm used to. It fits just fine, not all that hard to get into place on the M, but I can imagine this thing would have been a HUGE headache trying to fit on the stock filter housing on the 1j. Which is yet another reminder I need a relocation for that thing before it drives me nuts haha...

Anyway, oil from the 1j is going off to Blackstone soon, see how it's held up over the last 10-12 months of daily driving. Also, I have read in numerous threads on here, that Toyota filters are now made in Taiwan, unless they're the Denso Japan filter (TRD labeled?). Well, both of the ones I pulled off my cars were made in the USA supposedly. Part number 90915-YZZG1. Are these filters worth their weight, or are they the same crap as the Taiwan filters?

Again, if this needs moved, please do so, just figured it seems to fit here.