Odd stains after washing

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I recently got my block back from the machine shop, it hadn't been cleaned, so i took the task of cleaning it. I used a pressure washer and cleaned it thoroughly, and applied wd40 immediately after i stopped spraying water. I scrubbed it with dish soap, rinsed and did the same thing. After this i noticed some weird marks in the freshly machined cylinders and deck. They seem to be some sort of weird water marks that don't come off, but it doesn't look like rust. I have used every chemical imaginable and the marks do not go away. You have to shine the light just right to be able to see them in the bores, if you move the light a different way they seem to disappear. I had a hard time taking a picture because it either doesn't show up or appears 10x worse than it looks in person, but heres the best i got. You cannot feel these marks at all, even when scratching the surface with a nail, there's nothing. Any idea what this is/how it was caused/if i need to worry about it?
Here you can see the marks on the block deck:
p1436305_1.jpg

And here you can see the marks in the cylinder:
p1436305_2.jpg

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Does anyone have any opinions on this? I really dont think it is anything to be worried about, but i can always get a flexhone tool and simply go through the cylinders with the flex hone. My only worry there is getting the proper surface finish for the chrome rings. Any advice would be helpful!
Here are some extreme close ups.
As you can see, its not actually rust, it seems to just have soaked into the porous freshly machined surface, whatever it is. Again, no amount of washing or chemical/bushing gets rid of it.
p1449053_1.jpg

p1449053_2.jpg

Last edited:

StrikeIS

Apr 1, 2009
Va
I would have to agree with you on something getting into the freshly machined pores. You should have had the machine shop clean the block.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Even with the machine shop washing it, i would have washed it myself, they go through so many jobs that they are hardly meticulous with every engine. I would never take a block strait from a shop and assemble it without cleaning it myself

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
What would make E85 work?
I just did a final cleaning on the block, scrubbing it really good with gasoline first, and finishing off with lacquer thinner. Did nothing to the stains on the cylinders. Has nobody seen this before?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Can anybody give me ANY advice? my entire build is waiting on this and i have no idea who else to ask, its almost like i have a miracle block that does something no other iron block in the world has ever done or something.