O2 sensor help!!

alex's_mk3

Mar 25, 2009
Hawaii
Hey guys I'm getting the 6262 kit from DM and the down pipe only getting a bung for my aem wideband Arron said u can wire up the stock to the aem anyone can tell me what wires where? I got 2 black 1 blue on stock and aem has red white gray yellow black blue, I'm trying to search it on here but this damn (suspected phishing sit warning) is killing my search any help please

alex's_mk3

Mar 25, 2009
Hawaii
Never mind guys just found a site on newcelica forums that's say it's not a good idea to do that copied and paste below help me might help others here
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188457

Everything you need to know about wideband O2 sensors
There are WAY too many questions about this, and seemingly much confusion. So I want to clear the air on what wideband O2 sensors are, how they are different from regular O2 sensors, who makes them, how you hook them up and why they are useful for tuning.

What came in my car from the factory?

Your car has a regular "narrow-band" oxygen sensor. Many manufacturers (especially recent Hondas like the RSX) like to claim to have wideband sensors, but they don't. Narrowband sensors have four wires going to them: +5V, a heater/ground circuit consisting of two wires, and a signal wire. The signal wire supplies the ECU with a 0-1V signal. Factory oxygen sensors have improved dramatically over the years, and are much more "wideband" than before, but they still aren't wideband sensors.

What is a wideband then and what does it do that my factory sensor does not?

A wideband O2 sensor has an output from 0-5V, a big part of the whole "wideband" thing. This means that AFR (air/fuel ratio) values are spread over a wider voltage range, giving much higher resolution than a 0-1V sensor. The bigger part of the wideband thing is the actual range of AFR's that a wideband is accurate over. Stock narrowband sensors are not accurate much richer than stoichiometric, where all tuning is done. The narrowband sensors are very affected by heat in this range, so over the course of a dyno pull, the rising exhaust temperatures will throw off the accuracy of the sensor. A wideband sensor itself is completely different than a factory sensor. For one, the sensor can't run off of the factory circuit, and requires a controller to function. Some widebands have this controller integrated into a gauge display while others have this controller as a separate box. Wideband sensors also have six wires running to them instead of four.

So then why don't I replace the factory O2 sensor with a wideband?
Slow down there turbo...while this sounds like a great idea, your ECU will not be happy with you. Whether you have the stock ECU, Power FC or an eManage, they will all be looking for the stock 0-1V signal.

But my wideband can output 0-1V, can't I just use that signal?
There are mixed reviews on this working or not. The AEM gauge-type has five programmable outputs, with two of those being 0-1V emulations. My car with a factory ECU would not work with either of those emulations running. There's also a very good reason not to do this, even if you could get it working: you will lose the 5V resolution on most widebands. Most wideband controllers have only one output, so if you select 0-1V, you will not be able to monitor the 0-5V signal. The exceptions are the AEM dual-channel, which has both a 0-1 and 0-5V output, but no gauge display (although the gauge is now offered separately) and the units from Innovative Motorsports. Considering that people have not been able to get the car running with the 0-1V emulation on the AEM gauge-type, buying the expensive dual-channel model seems like a big risk. So my advice is to not try this if you use the AEM unit. With the Innovative wideband, people have had success running the Celica, but have reported AFR instability at idle and have reverted back to the stock O2 sensor for ECU readings. It would seem that while in Innovative emulation is better than AEM's, it is still not suitable to make the car run properly. This could cause major problems when you try and pass emissions, as you would need to run the stock ECU and the unsteady AFR could cause a check engine light.

So if I have to keep my stock sensor, what good is it?
Finally to the point. A wideband O2 sensor is absolutely critical for tuning. You need to be able to monitor AFR in order to tune an engine. Period. The wideband is therefore a tuning aid, not an upgraded sensor. Additionally, a display of the AFR will tell you on the fly if your car is running lean and get you to back off before you ruin an engine. People used to use EGT probes/gauges for this purpose, because EGT is related to air fuel ratio. The reason this was done was because wideband O2 sensors were prohibitively expensive and not suited for permanent installation on cars. Affordable widebands make EGT gauges virtually obsolete

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Actually it's not a issue. But you don't cut any of o2 sensor wires. You use the narrowband output from the controller.