(Novice question(s)) New to piggyback and programming where do i start!?

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
Noob,novice questions

So i have a mk3 supra and a e-manage ultimate now i want to run boost on the 2jzge that's in the car. so Ive got a turbo and intercooler and all the tangible physical parts. but now im stumped on the sensors and actuators. i deal with PLCs at work so i get what inputs and outputs are and analog and digital.

So what kind of wideband should i get? on ebay there are so many items that list wideband, do i need just the sensor or do i need more?

sometime in the near future i want to go with speed density(gm 3bar map,gm IAT) so how does this get configured into the system?

is a EGT a good idea, if so how does it get wired in?

making a tune thats safe, how do i accomplish this?

im open to buy books on engine programming if there are any that u suggest!

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
some one else can add and correct

for wideband it comes down to personal taste, but innovative, Zeitronix, and AEM are good ones. you will find that a gauge with a digital readout to be more benificial than just a needle sweep or light show gauge. expect to pay roughly around 200 for a new wideband kit with sensor. alot of the wideband gauges on ebay are gauge only, so make sure you read the description right, or buy one from a local parts store. the wideband sensor is about 70+ on its own, and is a bosch part with a 5 wire/6 prong plug in. you will need the gauge aswell to know you AFR's

as for the speed density, the maftpro system is pretty much self explanitory in the instructions when you buy it for installing it.

EGT..... your call really, its not a bad idea to moitor your exasut temps, but once you have it tuned its not really need for street use, though if racing on a track its a different story. you just mount the sensor probe in the downpipe and gauge in car. not to hard to install.

as for making a tune, thats outside my knowedge, so someone else will have to chime in. you could try looking on greddy fourms and asking on them aswell, as im not sure who on here uses the e-manage, most i know are all full standalone.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Type of wideband sort of depends on what piggyback you want to use. Most will take any 0-5V analog signal from the wideband.

speed density in my mind means MAFT Pro, but I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish that as well.

Can't really comment on importance of EGT, but you want that sensor as close to the combustion chamber as possible. Ideally, you'd have 6 sensors, one in each of the exhaust manifold runners. Of course, that is an absurd idea, so you'll have to make some kind of compromise.

Safe tunes are slightly rich. Run too lean and you're killing the motor in as little as seconds. Run too rich and you're not going to ruin anything quickly (within reason).

As for the AFR gauge and display, I think either digital or analog is fine. You wont be doing any perfect tuning while you're actually driving anyways. The AFR will move all over, and quickly. To properly tune, you should be logging data so you can easily review your rpm, throttle, lambda (AFR), etc...

Most piggybacks should offer some sort of logging feature. I'd say, if they dont, you should be looking at other units that do.