not impressed...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
EHumble;1968561 said:
350-400 will be PLENTY for your car. If not, it's not a huge deal to go to a T4 setup, assuming you already have the internals to withstand it.

Not a huge deal? There's quite a price difference between the two setups. Don't believe me? Make the step yourself.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Poodles;1967372 said:
Keep in mind the cars you're comparing the supra to are both big displacement NA cars with chassis that aren't nearly as good.

Basically, because they're loud and a bit scary to drive, they have more drama and feel faster.

It's why an old Miata feels like a rocket ship with the top down and the entire car screaming at you. It's a hard thing to quantify, but many of the fast European luxo=barg GT cars have the same issue, while being extremely fast...

I guess that's why judging hp "by the seat of your pants" is never a good judge of power. The chassis of these cars are very unassuming so it's like you are desensitized to much of the drama you would feel from other vehicles.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
IndigoMKII;1968685 said:
Not a huge deal? There's quite a price difference between the two setups. Don't believe me? Make the step yourself.

Exactly what I was thinking...if you're not gonna do it right might as well not do it at all....bigger injectors and pump, new exhaust Mani and turbo, standalone and tune are just a few things that come to mind...$5000+ is a pretty big deal to my wife!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's the whole failing on reading the "good" builds. You have to read between the lines. People with mad mechanical skill can do a lot for cheap but it takes a lot of time and attention to the details. After reading for years about all the troubles and mishaps, I find most occurred due to an overlooked item or building half the car properly (bearing in mind the other half is 24 years old.

I started off thinking for 10k I could have a wicked fast gorgeous mk3. What I forgot is I am anal about my cars....
I also failed to realise that when you get used to 300 rwhp, 400 starts looking appealing. For where I'm at, I have taken the last year very slow and looked at all the components and expected upgrades desired.

Bigger turbo means bigger issues. More heat, more fuel, tighter specs. Mine is not going to be a dyno queen, it's not going to be sheltered. It's meant to be a kick ass summer driver. But it's been a very long road and realistically I have 2-3 years left.

Don't be fooled by BPU easiness... It's reserved for a select few. Most of us are wandering a path where if you don't know where your going, it's going to be a lot of new parts, time and $$.

After over 5 years I think I finally understand my target.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I had to bring this thread back to give an update! After getting some good break-in miles on the car, and fixing a crap ton of little issues, I have to say I am EXTREMELY happy with this car. I posted a video a week or so ago with a 20-60 pull that I just wasnt impressed with, and was getting discouraged. Even though I knew I still had a bunch of things to check on the car that could affect performance, I didnt think those things would make THAT much of a difference.

I finally had time to get out to the shop again and found out there were lots of issues, timing, small boost leaks, and the wastegate to name a few. After I fixed these I tried a 20-80 pull on a dry, empty road. Well..I guess I could call it a pull, I couldn't keep traction at all! After feeling that difference in power, I immediately just pulled over, and sat there staring at nothing in awe...I was beside myself happy! Then I turned around and headed back to the shop. I would post a new video, but didnt have anyone in the car with me and wasnt about to try and hold the phone while driving..

If I'm in 1st, 2nd, or even sometimes 3rd cruising at around 2800 RPM's and then go anywhere near WOT my ass end starts sliding out on me. I did this all on 9psi. If I take it from 2nd gear and dont go WOT and shift easy I get a good pull without sliding out and it feels amazing! Obviously not like 500hp amazing, but it gave me a damn good pull and the much needed slap in the face that "hey, this is going to work out, and your time and effort is going to be worth it". I'm just ridiculously excited that I still have another 10psi to work with after the tune if I want to. But at the same time it made me realize that my suspension/tire/and brake upgrades are going to be coming much sooner than I though!:eek3dance

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Something tells me you need a buddy to come out and take some videos with a fancy new gopro... Hahaha

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
7M4EVR;1984012 said:
I had to bring this thread back to give an update! After getting some good break-in miles on the car, and fixing a crap ton of little issues, I have to say I am EXTREMELY happy with this car. I posted a video a week or so ago with a 20-60 pull that I just wasnt impressed with, and was getting discouraged. Even though I knew I still had a bunch of things to check on the car that could affect performance, I didnt think those things would make THAT much of a difference.

I finally had time to get out to the shop again and found out there were lots of issues, timing, small boost leaks, and the wastegate to name a few. After I fixed these I tried a 20-80 pull on a dry, empty road. Well..I guess I could call it a pull, I couldn't keep traction at all! After feeling that difference in power, I immediately just pulled over, and sat there staring at nothing in awe...I was beside myself happy! Then I turned around and headed back to the shop. I would post a new video, but didnt have anyone in the car with me and wasnt about to try and hold the phone while driving..

If I'm in 1st, 2nd, or even sometimes 3rd cruising at around 2800 RPM's and then go anywhere near WOT my ass end starts sliding out on me. I did this all on 9psi. If I take it from 2nd gear and dont go WOT and shift easy I get a good pull without sliding out and it feels amazing! Obviously not like 500hp amazing, but it gave me a damn good pull and the much needed slap in the face that "hey, this is going to work out, and your time and effort is going to be worth it". I'm just ridiculously excited that I still have another 10psi to work with after the tune if I want to. But at the same time it made me realize that my suspension/tire/and brake upgrades are going to be coming much sooner than I though!:eek3dance

I told you, now imagine what my 57 does at 16-18 PSI. lol

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Backlash2032;1984014 said:
Something tells me you need a buddy to come out and take some videos with a fancy new gopro... Hahaha

Haha nice! Ill take u up on that when it warms up!

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Grandavi;1984059 said:
Odd.. I don't see the new video... or are you just pumping us up? :)
Didnt say anything about having a new video yet...so just pumping u up. It needs to warm up here first we just got more snow so i need to wait for dry roads...dont worry ill post one as soon as I can.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
7M4EVR, we really do need to get together this spring and go cruise. Hopefully I'm getting new wheels and tires.. maybe you'd be interested in my old set? They fit and look pretty good on a supra lol.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Backlash2032;1984102 said:
7M4EVR, we really do need to get together this spring and go cruise. Hopefully I'm getting new wheels and tires.. maybe you'd be interested in my old set? They fit and look pretty good on a supra lol.

We will for sure man. I'll be coming up to Lincoln often. And why the heck are you getting new wheels? Yours are fine,they look great with your brake set-up. Spend the money on go fast bits lol... I'm still running beat up mk4 wheels, and I'm fine with that for now. I am looking to find some good rear tires though... Thing is, at least for the next couple years, your car and my car are very different. Your car is like the pretty girl in the UFC that can kick some ass. Mine is like an older butch lez chick with a sleeve tat that you wouldnt want to mess with in a bar.:sarcasm:

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I'm not a big fan of no dish wheels lol. And they're only 8 inches wide. Just looking to make it look better lol