Not good: Car looses all power after full boosts, TURNS OFF no POWER

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Alright. I was done the 1jz swap, was.. I did another test before I wanted the customer to come over and get the car. I did some runs. I was running full stock boost in first gear till about 6K rpms . The cars shuts off,:1zhelp: and no power is present anywhere in the car, not even the cluster works. The car has no power at all now. First thing I think is the main relay since that provides power to almost everything. I looked at the main relay in the engine compartment and it did not look bad ( I don't know how a main relay would look if bad it's an internal part! ), but I replaced it and the car started again. :icon_razz

Took it out when I got home did the same thing to me no power :( I replaced the main again now it just has no power.. I wired everything correctly too, maybe I want to go back and check any suggestions please!!

The person before me that owned the car did some funky wiring stuff I hope that is not screwing with everything.

Last edited:

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Check that white wire to the positive terminal, the one that doesn't go to the starter. That tends to cut all power to the car when it falls off. Also double check the connections on the black cabin power leads from the alternator.

It sounds like something important is loose somewhere.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
check the connector on the ign switch. also try driving it with only the ign key in the ignition.
my celica did the same thing after a wot run , turned out to be the keys pulling on the switch , needed less weight on the tumbler. new switch and tumbler and it works great.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I will check these things, but! Remember one important to this mystery, I have absolutely * NO POWER * to anything in the car, no dash lights, no headlights, no door ding noise with the key in the IGN. I have not power. Battery is brand new. Voltage is 12.82V. Everything that I did wiring was done properly. sodddered, shrink warped etc. The previous owner before me did some funky wiring. I hope that is not doing this.

Plan of attack.

1.) I am going to see how the power is getting on the car. The battery has power which we will start with, the fuse box I will then check. I have a feeling something went down at the fuse box,, either inside the car or in the engine bay. I will find where this problem is. the only thing I need to do to make this car able to drive or start. The car pulled very nicely, and also.. I did a few plus the day before with no problems.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Jayhall;1532054 said:
did you check your fusible link? Its that black wire in the fuse box under the hood.

I will be doing this all tomorrow, I was a little to stressed and pissed off to today to even look at the car. Worked so hard and accurately to have this shit happen. Amazing how well the motor runs and I can bring it to any RPM, things happen!

I will check that tomorrow. Remember one thing though even if I did blow that stupid fusible link, I still have to trace the short. I wonder if there is any good way to go about this. I will do what I learned, but I may do some research before I open up this car. Surgery begins in a few hours when i wake up, I am going to bed.

Thank you.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
when mine went it was just super old an had been and rotted away from corrosion. Replaced it and havent had a problem yet. Maybe youll be so luckey

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Jayhall;1532058 said:
when mine went it was just super old an had been and rotted away from corrosion. Replaced it and havent had a problem yet. Maybe youll be so luckey

Yeah I hope so too! There is a law though, " when something can go wrong, it will "

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Fantastic news everyone. I was to upset to work on it last night. I decided to give it a try today. I did some lookign around and I I didn't connect the ground near the fuse box. I know ti seems simple but it was hidden, so I reconnected that. I took my DVOM and I checked the battery once more. it was 12.72V. I then saw there was a crack in the blue wires that powered the fuse box and wires were exposed. I decided to check the voltage there 0V? I was like huh? I pulled on i a little and the wires came out !! Oh great. I then started the car!! The idle was very low though and it fell on its face once, after that it was fine, The idle is still low and I have a misfire. I think I need new plugs someone told me the 1jz/2jz like one certain kind of plugs.

Anyhow, took the down piped Supra down the road ( Loud ) and it didn't stall with full boost, but it took longer to get boost, so I think ill get new plugs tomorrow for the car. Anyhow the car has power!!! and that makes me happy, a missing ground can indeed cause this problem and a bad power wires too!

Last edited:

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Update: I did heat shrink the coils tonight, and made sure all ground were accounted for.

Issue: The only thing now is a misfire. I was told these motors hate all plugs except one kind. I have it written down thanks to HonestAbe, I thought I heard my injectors while the misfire was happening makes some strange noises, like they were adjusting somehow.

I hope this can be figured out. Again if anyone has had any issues like this in the past, please let me know.