Noob Question

wayja

Feb 20, 2012
NorCal
Hello Fellas,

I bought a 1989 Supra Turbo that had the head gasket changed but was never started. It came with lots of extra parts, so I see some "shot gun" troubleshooting was done. Anyway, I messed with it for awhile, repaired the harness connectors at the coil packs and CPS. It sparked! I put all the plugs back in and tried to start it. It sparked a short time, then it sounded like a small backfire, then nothing. There seemed to be a small puff of smoke near the ignition control module connectors. I do not see any evidence of a problem. Anyway, I realized I still had the jumper in to check engine codes. Could this cause a problem? Also, I do not have the alternator hooked up. Any issues with that? Any assistance is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Wayja

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
well if i was you, i would repair the harness cause if it was bad you could have multiple problems from trying to start it or the wires to the cps being bad.

so sounds like you have a timing problem or cps timimg aswell. check all harness wires for the cps and so on.

wayja

Feb 20, 2012
NorCal
hvyman;1843994 said:
Make sure the cps is in the right spot and if the plugs are not new change them.

Is timing required to be set before I can get any spark? Is the CPS that sensitive?